Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just curious:)    

Just curious:)

karka30
Poland

Seems all of us do the same in the classroom but outside it �s differnt everywhere:)
I �ve just come from Oslo and I can confirm what Jarek says, prices of food are the highest I �ve ever seen. Oslo is said to be the most expensive city nowadays so you can imagine that their salary must be high to cover the costs. 
By the way Jarek, how did you go through all formal matters to teach there? Do you know Norwegian?

hugs:)

Karolina

1 Nov 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

hi karka30,

Yes, I do speak Norwegian. Now the mystery is solved. haha.

1 Nov 2012     

windflora
Turkey

In Turkey:
1. Compulsory 21 hours per week + 1 hour for club activities/classroom management. If you teach more than 15 hours, you get extra pay for every hour. You cannot work more than 30 hours per week. Lessons are 45 minutes at high schools and 40 minutes at primary schools. Under 21 hours teaching, the government can send you another school to fulfill 21 hours. Salary depends on your working experience. There is no contract here. You have to pass a very difficult exam to be a teacher when you finish university. You also get extra pay according to your language degree and graduate degree.
2. At the first year of teaching you are a practising teacher. You have no formal rights during this time. You go teaching and join a teaching course at the same time. After passing exams, you become a full teacher.
3. 2 months Summer holiday, 1 for New Year �s day, two religious holdays: 7 days, 3 formal holidays: 3 days, and mid-term holiday: 15 days.
Hope it would be useful.

1 Nov 2012     

karka30
Poland

Thanks Windflora:)

How come it �s different everywhere:)

1 Nov 2012     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Back to Ukrainian schools, Sophia forgot to tell that our salary also depends on whether you have your own class or not. If you do then you are a supervising teacher (or form master) i.e. a person who is in charge of the class, controlls everything that �s going on in his/her class, holds parents � meetings, conducts educational hours with the students etc.  ("klasnyi kerivnyk" in Ukrainian, I don �t know if the translation is correct) and your salary is 20% higher. Is there anything similar in your schools? I mean is there a person responsiple for one particular class? As far as I know there �s not such a notion in The USA.

Kate

2 Nov 2012     

zailda
Brazil

Karolina, I was just commenting Sophia �s words and didn �t say you gave / didn �t give feedback. I know that asking on the forum spares us much time, and IMHO it �s very important to answer back.

I �m sorry if my words make you feel uncomfortable, but I also feel that when I see people who start topics very often (more than one at a time) and don �t even say a word back, I guess that �s the reason for so many unanswered topics.

As the topic about differences from country to country concerning our profession is the one I have chosen to write about this month for my teacher �s community I picked your thread because I �m very interested in the discussion.

Have a nice holiday.

Zailda

2 Nov 2012     

karka30
Poland

In Poland each class has got its tutor as well - a teacher who is responsible for the class issues. Such a person gets additional pay but that �s really not much. You need to solve all the classroom problems, you go on trips with your class, hold parent �s meetings and have 1 additional lesson a week with the class for current matters and teaching some universal code of conduct, social rules and the like

2 Nov 2012     

karka30
Poland

What about Spain? We haven �t heard from anyone from there?

2 Nov 2012     

< Previous   1    2