Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teaching 3-year-old class    

teaching 3-year-old class

marie.marron
Spain

teaching 3-year-old class

Hello everybody, I recently found myself in a situation new to me and I would like to ask for your opinions/experiences. I�ve started teaching a small group of 3-year-old girls and I find it a bit frustrating. I�ve read a lot about how to teach small children, and I tried to use songs, flash cards, drawing worksheets, but the only thing that works are songs. They love singing and dancing, but the moment we stop they lose all the interest. Also, an hour class seems too long so I find myself in a situation that I start doing something, they wander away and I�m bit lost. I would like to hear your experiences and how you manage it. Also, do I speak their mother tongue, since they don�t understand any English and I would like to engage them a bit and to gain their confidence?

Thank you in advance for your help, Marie

2 Nov 2012      

Dr. Ahmad El-Maghraby
Egypt

Dear marie-marron,
Concerning teaching young children, reading about them is not enough. Yet, a problem with no solution is not found on earth. In order to fill that long period and catch Ss � attention, you may act as below :
(1) Create a written study contract in which Ss are to suggest rules for behavior inside the classroom, get a consensus on its content, and hang it to the wall.
(2) Use a perfect lesson plan which could include so many activities that involve Ss in the learning process all the time. I think the Grammar Translation Method (GTM) can fit in this case. You can download it from my account. Suggestopedia is also proposed; It is a lot of fun.
(3) In addition to songs, you may use role-play technique; It is loved by all children.
If you find that there is still time, you may use warm-ups or ice-breakers; They will help.

2 Nov 2012     

adrie.toth
Hungary

Dear Marie, 

I don �t agree with Dr. Ahmad El-Maghraby as Grammar Translation Method is impossible with 3-year-old children. Moreover, as a 3-year-old child cannot read, at least not in Hungary, you can �t write the rules - draw them. 

Although I only have a Master �s Degree in English, I would suggest you to do as many TPR (Total Physical Response) exercises as you can with young learners. 

Build their vocabulary with games, pictures and teach them songs that you can act out. You can also use role-plays - but make sure they are short and the language is simple. 

I have sent you a pm with more ideas. 

Best wishes, 

Adri

2 Nov 2012     

noemi28
Brazil

HELLO MARIE

I had the same problem. 
So I start my classes singing a "hello song". I use the same song every single class, they don�t care about the repetition but if the do u can vary the song.
Next step a teach the vocabulary or sentence using a flashcard ( I am teaching animals pet for example).
 I showed the picture of a dog, and I ask them to repeat  DOG, IT �S A DOG. Raise your hands who has a dog?
Very short conversation, I put a song talking about a dog "where or where has my little dog gone?" I helped them with the comprehension  saying " this song talks about a little dog, he is missed and so on so on... play the song once doing gesture and dancing. 
The last step is making a dog craft, when I say " u can take the dog at home, mom and dad will see it" they get so excited. They make the craft and I play the bye bye song. class is over

next class its a review

hello song, dog song, reapet the vocabulary, DOG, ITS A DOG, then play a game
hunting bone for exemplo

I make bones and I ask a kid to hire them in the class. Lets  help the dog find the bone
 The kids has to look for the bones, as soon as they find it, I ask them to put in the dog plates (some kids want to hold and the others who doesnt find any bone, can get upset cause they also want to hold the bone, this will prevent the action like " he found and I didnt, he has the bone, I dont have ....)

after the game they can do an activity about the dog (a worksheet paper circle what dogs eat or trace the god...its up to you.

So, short class, not too many flashcards, songs with gesture, jumps, dancing and games. If I teach color, I sing songs about color, show the color, activity worksheet and a game. One class new vocabulary, next class review

Hope this message can help you

2 Nov 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

Songs are great.  I used to use a "Fetch the flashcard" or "Touch the Flashcard".  You place a flashcard somewhere and ask "Where �s Red?" for example.  They have to got and bring it back to you.  I have plastic hammars and I ask "Where �s red?" and they hit it with the hammar.
Puppets are good to for getting to them to say things like "Hello" "Yes".  My four year olds sometimes won �t talk to me but they will answer questions from a puppet ("What �s your name?" "Is it red?")

Good Luck!

2 Nov 2012     

Landy_
Turkey

Games, songs, flashcards. It �s all you can really do! I am teaching 4/5 year olds and I don �t know their native tongue at all, however they are learning really quickly through the use of these things. Repetition is the key, if you can see they are getting bored, move on, don �t stress about it. Just keep building your bank of resources to keep the kids entertained! If you are able to get a native speaker to help give some directions for new games that would be super, but I know this kind of help is not always available! Sometimes allow the students to have playdough - kids love having it in their hands, it may keep them in their seats and stop them from wandering around! Remember they are benefiting just from having you speaking English around them at all times. Best try to avoid letting them know you speak their language.

Basically, be patient. Trial and error... you �ll work it out!! :) 

2 Nov 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Structure and writing time is not needed. You can focus on meaning and speaking. Via different games and speaking activities, you can practice the language 4-5 times faster than writing exercises.

Here �s the curriculum

Greetings from Greece,

2 Nov 2012     

Mtess
Spain

Hello Marie,

Nowadays I �m working at Englsih academy with infant students and this is my third course, so I know you sometimes frustate with them because you don �t obtain any answer, but it is normal.

Here you have some tips:

- Plan may short activities with a duration about 5 minutes each one.
- Use flashcards, songs, videos, stories, games, warm-ups, cartoons, puppets, TPR (it is very effective)...They must be loud.
- Invetn magic wand, surprise box or something similar to show new things such as vocabulary.
- Think activities where your students interact with you through actions or words.
- Visit this website: www.dreamenglish.com (it is very useful)., where you will look for a lot of ideas.

Don �t forget listening and spekaing are the most important skills and your students are at the pefect age to practise them.

Good luck!!

2 Nov 2012     

kirstyjay
Spain

Structure your lesson. Start with your routines...

Hello song.
Say hello. My name �s.... what �s your name? use a ball... get everyone to ask and answer.

you can do the same with - How old are you? I �m....

What day is it today? - Have a song and have actions to each day of the week, so that they can relate the day to the action. It is frustrating at first, but eventually they will learn it, join in and know what you �re talking about.

What number is it in the month? Practice counting to 10. Have a song for this. Try counting backwards after they get the hang of going forwards.

What month is it?... same again, Song, actions etc.

What �s the weather like?... again, have a song with actions...

Revise colours... again with a song.

That �s your first 10-15 mins right there.

Next, split the rest of your hour into 3 15 min blocks... maybe more, maybe less - depends on your activities, but plan to change the activity about 3 times during the class.

I usually have a subject that I want to teach, such as food.

I �ll read a story about food. Then we revise the words using flashcards. Then we play a game. Then we sing a song and finally once they have the vocabulary, I �ll give them an activity to complete, such as a colouring page.... and while they �re colouring, they have to revise the colours by coming to me and asking for the crayon they want in English.

At the end there �s a goodbye song.

Sometimes I �ll plan each subject over 2 lessons. Do the story, game and song one week, then the game and song again to repeat the second week followed by the activity.

An hour is often not long enough! It depends on your group size. :)

I also NEVER speak their L1. I ALWAYS speak to them in English. If they know you can speak L1 they get lazy and expect it. If they ask a question in L1, I repeat it in English before I answer it.

I �ve been teaching 3 year olds for about 7 years now and never had to use L1. :)

2 Nov 2012     

Dr. Ahmad El-Maghraby
Egypt

Dear adrie.toth,
Nice to read your comment, yet I think it is advisable not to mention those whom you have argued against by name. It is very kind to talk in general in order that you might not bestow a sort of personalization on the matter you pose to discussion. By the way, you say that you don not agree with me on the utilization of GTM as a method which could fit with teaching young children,  stating that "it is impossible". I don �t know how come. Most educationalists state that young children �s mother tongue "should" be utilized inside classrooms, at least to offer Ss a sense of security. Look at Jeanette Vos (ED.D) when using native language of young Japanese children to teach numbers. The technique is as below :

How to Count in Japanese�and Learn by Doing

English                 Japanese              Sound                    Action

one                         ichi                         itchy                       Scratch your

two                         ni                            knee                       knee.

three                       san                         sun                         Point to the sky.

four                        shi                          she                         Point to a girl. 

five                         go                           go                           Walk

six                           rocko                      rock                        Rock �n �roll

seven                     shich                      shi-chi                    Double sneeze.

eight                       hachi                      hat-chi                   Put on a funny hat.

nine                        kyu                         coo                         Coo like a dove.

ten                          ju                             ju                             Don a Jewish hat
Many educationalists and Psychologists state that GTM or any other method that utilizes mother tongue should be used with young learners.  According to Cambridge University Press : 

"In the past, many writers have recommended that teachers should only use English � that the mother tongue, in other words, should not be allowed. This is not a view we take, especially for (young learners). Firstly, it is impossible to learn anything unless you relate it to what you already know. This means that children will always translate even if we tell them not to. It is important, then, that we make sure they have the correct translation. The old argument about �encouraging them to think in English� is only really feasible when they have enough language in which to think. For primary school children, this is unlikely to be the case with a foreign language for a very long time. Secondly, it is important that the children have a sense of security in the classroom, that they feel they can ask for help, explain problems, say how they feel, and so on. They will only do this in the mother tongue. Thirdly, using the mother tongue means that it is possible to do more interesting work and more complex types of activities."

The issue is not posing personal points of view or opinions, but it is related to instructional and psychological research. Thank you.

2 Nov 2012     

marie.marron
Spain

Thank you very much for your kind comments. You helped me a lot!
Regards

3 Nov 2012