Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Passive in indirect speech    

Passive in indirect speech

Venus78
Iran

Passive in indirect speech

Hi everyone,
I have a question about passive form in indirect speech. In this sentence:

Direct:   "Breakfast is served between 7:00 and 9:00" The receptionist explained.

Indirect: The receptionist explained that the breakfast would be served between
              7:00 and 9:00.

I�m not sure why it changes to "would be served" in indirect speech. I know that in indirect speech if something is true and still going on it doesn�t move one tense back but why it changes to would?
I�d appreciate it if anyone could help me.Smile
take care,Hug
Venus

18 Jan 2009      

marciadnr
Portugal

Actually it only changes depending on the situation: if what the receptionist is referring to is a habit - the fact that breakfast is always served at that time, then it does not change (The receptionist explained that the breakfast is served between 7:00 and 9:00.).

Yet, if it is on that specific day - which is being reported - that it is considered as a future event - as if s/he used "will be served" - and in that case it changes into "would". (check changes of Passive Voice -Future).

18 Jan 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Hi Venus,

yes, I think marciadnr is right. I would definitly say that the sentence in direct speech is refering to the future and that�s why it changes to "would" in indirect speech. Otherwise it wouldn�t make sense.

I hope I could help you.

Hugs

18 Jan 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi Venus,

As many linguists suggest,I�d rather keep the sentence as it is.My reported sentence would look like: He explained that breakfast is served between .......

So the rule that applies to scientific and general truth sentences should apply to time tables

We can�t say he told me that the capital of Morocco was Rabat because Rabat was and still is the capital.

What do other teachers say?

18 Jan 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

I agree with harimThumbs Up

18 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

It changes to that because in this sentence:  "Breakfast is served between 7:00 and 9:00" The receptionist explained" , the word "is served"  is a simple present tense with future meaning (official schedules) which is also in a passive voice.

So we will change it as if it were in future due what it is intending to say.

Do I make sense?

marciadnr makes a lot of sense too!! Thumbs Up

19 Jan 2009     

Venus78
Iran

Thanks a lot for your helpful answers.  HeartStar
Venus

19 Jan 2009