Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Doubts    

Doubts

sandrasilvia
El Salvador

Doubts

Why in the word roof ,it doesn`t apply the rule to chage to ves if you want to make it plural? Is anybody who can help me please?

4 Nov 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi there!

hope this helps.

4 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

That �s a great article. I would add that the plural of "dwarf" can be either "dwarfs", as the article says, or "dwarves".

Bruce

4 Nov 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear SandraSylvia,

Several months ago, a Member wrote:

"I learnt all nouns ending with -f or -fe get -ves endings in plural".

THEY DO NOT!

Quirk (and 5 other Professors), 2010, "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" list the Rules.

Nouns which take a Plural ending in �ves �, calf: calves; elf: elves; half: halves; knife: knives; leaf: leaves; life: lives; loaf: loaves; self: selves; sheaf: sheaves; shelf: shelves; thief: thieves; wife: wives; wolf: wolves.

Nouns which take 2 possible Plurals, ending in �s � and �ves �, dwarf: dwarfs/dwarves; hoof: hoofs/hooves; scarf: scarfs/scarves; wharf: wharfs/wharves.

Other nouns ending in f(e), take regular plural �s �, belief: beliefs; chief: chiefs; cliff: cliffs; proof: proofs; roof: roofs; safe: safes.

LES

4 Nov 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

It �s a case of evolution. When I was a child in NZ we were taught and always used rooves but this sounds dreadful now. language is a living thing and it �s constantly changing!

4 Nov 2012     

alex076
Italy

Thanks so much for the explanations. 
I have always wondered how to teach those exceptions.
You �re always so helpful!!!
Thank you! Star

4 Nov 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Further to Les �s reply, Quirk and Greenbaum also point out that �some nouns which in the singular end in the voiceless fricatives spelled -th and -f have voiced fricatives in the plural, followed by /z/ �. Although they go on to say that roof takes regular plural only, you �ll find that dictionaries such as the SOED and Merriam-Webster will also give rooves as a secondary plural.

If it �s of any help, fricatives were always voiced intervocalically (between vowels) in Old English, so for roof/roofs, it would have been hrof (sing.) -> hrofas (pl.), but over time as the vowel was dropped, there was less need phonologically to voice the final fricative - although some obviously persisted in the older form (leaf -> leaves etc). Dwarf, by the way, had a different etymology, but is often given the -ves ending by analogy with words ending in -f  � although Tolkien should shoulder some of the blame for this ;)

5 Nov 2012