Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > powerpoints    

powerpoints

Mariethe House
France

powerpoints

A very na�ve question, I suppose but I�ll try it all the same:

To  use a powerpoint,  Do you have to use a video projector and how can the powerpoints I download from esl be transferred to the video projector?
I  have never used a video projector as there is only one in my school , jealously kept by the IT and technology teacher.

Thank you .Mariethe

19 Jan 2009      

chobby
Mexico

You wouldn�t only need a projector but also a lap-top to because there isn�t other way to reproduce it,

19 Jan 2009     

Mariethe House
France

19 Jan 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

If you don�t have a computer to play the ppt, you can get a powerpoint to video converter. You�ll be able to play the new file in a DVD player. There are lots of sites where you can download this program for free but I don�t know which one is advisable. Maybe we can ask an expert, for example Alien boy, are you there, dear  friend???

19 Jan 2009     

chobby
Mexico

Gee, I feel so stupid now, I didn�t you could convert ppt into video and reproduce it in DVD players but how do you do that? I know you say there is a program but you would have to burned in a DVD disc first, not?

19 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

You obviously have aacess to a computer, otherwise you would not be able to ask this question.  Much depends on the class size.  If you have only a small class of say up to 8 pupils/students it is possible just to use a computer screen to show the powerpoints. 

Ideally the screen should be large and clear enough for everyone to see it.

You only need a projector when you have a larger class and you need all the pupils to see the content.  You need to connect your computer to a LCD projector using a cable - the projector box should have all the cables you need.

Ideally, if you have a laptop computer this is much more versatile as you can put the computer and projector anywhere you want.  But if all you have is a desktop computer which cannot be moved then you are limited by the length of the cable and the location of the computer.

One point I may be missing though is that you call your projector a video projector.  If this is connected only to a TV then you have big problems.  I do not know if it is possible to connect a TV video projector to a computer and I have never tried using software to convert my powerpoints to video format - I�m afraid I have always had the luxury of a LCD projector.

19 Jan 2009     

dennismychina
China

Good Morning All,

Sorry Damielle it doesn�t look like he is, but I am����. Will I do?Embarrassed

First we must establish what equipment you will have in your classroom /s.

Do you have a large screen TV � with a computer (or do you have the use of a laptop computer) or a DVD player connected to it?

I must run but I�ll be back!! Will look in again in a couple of hours.

To answer my question to you, no you won�t.Cry

Enjoy your (what ever part of the day it is wherever you are).

19 Jan 2009     

meuge
Argentina

I have found this page, with a ppt convertor to video (you can download it for free). I haven�t tried it, but it might be helpful...

19 Jan 2009     

dennismychina
China

Ooooooops.  Hi Chobby, Logos, you guys were quicker than I was.

19 Jan 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I�ll wait for your answers, dennismychina. (or anybody�s) I once had one of my ppt converted, but I don�t know which program the technician  used. I have recently learned that I can do it myself but I need to know which program is safe to be downloaded. In my case, I don�t have a laptop or a computer in my classroom. Having an LCD projector or a projector box is an absolute luxury for us. Where there is projector box (called ca�on, here) , we are not allowed to use it in calss because the spare lamp is tooooooooo expensive. So, the only thing available is the DVD player and the TV set. That�s why I need that program because I have some beautiful ppts.

What�s more, I think that if we get that information, the powerpoints uploaded here will become more popular

19 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

The software I have seen to do this in one step is available on trial or as shareware, so it�s not really free if you want to continue using it.

There is, however, a REALLY GOOD step by step guide at freewaregenius.com

It is a recent article & uses all free software. Have a thorough read of the article & see what you think. If you have any questions please post them or contact freeware genius too!

I�m happy to help with anything further if I can.

Cheers,
ab

p.s. the simplest is a PowerPoint to JPEG to DVD slide conversion, but you won�t get animation from your original Powerpoint presentation.

19 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >