Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Paid or payed?    

Paid or payed?

Mietz
Germany

Paid or payed?

Just quickly I�ve learned, that (to) pay is an irregular verb with the past and past participle "paid".
I just saw in an exercise, that it used payed (regular). Checking the web made me even more confused. Can I use payed, too or is that not correct?

Thanks!

19 Jan 2009      

Mietz
Germany

So did I, but check the web... Wacko

19 Jan 2009     

Delphine 05
Belgium

Hello Mietz

It�s an interesting question... I�ve checked in all my dictionaries and I couldn�t find the form "payed" .. the past participle is always "paid"

But on the Internet I�ve found this explanation :
"If you paid attention in school, you know that the past tense of �pay� is �paid� except in the special sense that has to do with ropes: �He payed out the line to the smuggler in the rowboat.�

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/payed.html (this is the link you can find this information)

It�s very confusing

Have a nice day

19 Jan 2009     

natyhatt
Argentina

I don�t think payed is correct. I have checked my dictionary to see if it was possible (just in case) but there was no mention of that. So that must be a mistake in the activity you saw. Maybe you should post that person a comment on that. Good luck and have a nice day!

19 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

When having to do with money it is always PAID.
L

19 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

It�s bad spelling... The correct form is "paid"... not payed...

19 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Thanks everybody!

19 Jan 2009     

reijene
Korea, South

PAY is an irregular verb, therefore there�s a slight change in spelling. There�s only one way of differentiating an irregular verb from a regular verb, and that is: TO ACTUALLY KNOW THE WORDS. Sounds kinda harsh, but that�s how we were taught.

there�s this rule about regular verbs ending in Y.

verbs ending in Y preceded by a vowel, just +ed.

example:
play-played.

verbs ending in y preceded by a consonant, change Y to I + ed.

example:
dry-dried.

the word pay, if you�re not a native speaker, or just started to learn english, or simply had overlooked, the mistake was quite easy to be done.

19 Jan 2009     

dennismychina
China

Yes the past tense of pay is paid. But do you have any idea of the future tense for paid is.

19 Jan 2009     

dennismychina
China

Wow I don�t know how I did that I jumped the queue by three places.

It must have been, is it a bird, is it a plane, no it�s ....

The answer to the above question is...... the cheque is in the post.

19 Jan 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I had never seen "payed" before but it seems it exists as a regular past of "to pay" but only  meaning to slacken (as a rope) and allow to run out �used with out

Merriam-Webster online dictionary

I have also checked it in my unabridged paper version and it says the same: regular only with the above meaning.

19 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >