Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say.... subtle verbal insults    

How do you say.... subtle verbal insults

colibrita
United Kingdom

How do you say.... subtle verbal insults

Hi All,

A vocabulary question: what words or expressions are there for very clever subtle verbal insults? You know, the kind that you could almost miss but once you read between the lines there �s a very subtle dig there. All i can come up with are veiled barbs, (oh and subtle digs!).

Thank you

Colibrita

15 Nov 2012      

zenlee
Korea, South

snide insinuations?

snide remarks?

snide comments?

15 Nov 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

And don �t forget the newer snarky. It �s still in the slang phase, but it seems to be gaining in popularity, at least here in the USA.

15 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

definitely snide remark

jab?

16 Nov 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

How about damning with faint praise?

16 Nov 2012     

Zora
Canada

I agree with the others on �snide remark, jab �. There �s also �backhanded compliment �.

16 Nov 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

I only heard snarky for the first time last year from an American friend (I thought she �d mistyped sarky) - but it �s definitely in the most recent SOED (which dates it from the early 20th century), glossed as �irritable, short-tempered � - but I �m sure our AmE native-speakers have a much better idea of its current usage  Wink

I don �t think there �s anything subtle about a snide remark, although I can accept the meaning of �devious, mean, underhand � as being possibly close. Incidentally, in UK slang, snide can also mean inferior or counterfeit, as in �snide Louboutins �.

16 Nov 2012     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

Actually snarky is even less subtle than snide. If someone is being snarky, at least in my experience, they are being almost outright sarcastic and borderline rude and the phrase, "Don �t get snarky with me!" can be heard in a lot of Canadian households. LOL

Perhaps what Colibri is looking for could be �veiled sarcasm �?

16 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

I like "veiled sarcasm"!  Good call Linda!

16 Nov 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Veiled sarcasm? Sarcasm is out there, not veiled.

You �ve got it yourself colibrita, �making sly digs�. Or snide comments. You�d probably say, �She�s always getting sly digs in.�

16 Nov 2012