Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > problems with some words    

problems with some words

jarek2011
Poland

problems with some words

I wonder how should I name a couple of things in English

1. what �s the English for a minibus (minicoach)  that takes scoolkids to the nearby swimming pool? Can I call it a swimming bus (since we have a school bus/ airport bus etc). It may be tricky because  van or other vehicle serving as a travelling library for communities without access to a library is called a mobile library (or books on wheels)  so I am not sure whether "swimming bus" is the right word

2. what would you call the action of taking schoolkids from their home to the swimming pool? swim driving? swim drive? I mean the fact that schoolkids are picked up by the byus and taken to the pool

have a nice weekend!

jarek

17 Nov 2012      

Pauline Burke MSc
Spain

Shuttle bus is often used for this sort of thing. But usually when it is on a loop.
For example airport carpark shuttle bus. Beach shuttle. 

Or transport.
School transport service for example.
Pensioners shopping transport.

Regards
Pauline.

17 Nov 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Jarek

We just say bus - we will go to the pool by bus.  Our school hires 60 seater buses for this purpose.  If it is a bus that only goes between the pool and other places on a set route then it is a shuttle bus as Pauline explained.  So, you might then call it the pool shuttle bus or simply the shuttle bus or shuttle.

Swimming bus and swim drive/driving are not words we generally use even though some might.

Cheers

Jayho

17 Nov 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Thank you very much for your help!

18 Nov 2012