Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Modals expressing test    

Modals expressing test

barbarachiote
Brazil

Modals expressing test

hi, teachers

Can you help me with this question:

"Which alternative is the correct according to the use of modals expressing past?

A. He made it! It was dull and he had to work  very hard, but he�s got a BA in English.

B. While I was working to that company even the senior staff had to be at their desks by 9:00."

The key says that letter A is the correct one. 

Why is that???

Thanks for help and attention.
Barbara

18 Nov 2012      

lewisronaldc
United States

HI,  

Actually ,  A is not correct.    he �s in that sentence can only mean he is or he has.  It is extremelyt awakward and not correct grammar usage.   Use of he �s to mean he has should us been, as in he �s been working on a BA.  Change he �s to he and it would be acceptable.

He made it! It was dull and he had to work very hard, but he got a BA in English.

Ron

18 Nov 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I respectfully disagree, lewisronaldc. A is fine for exactly the reasons you stated: ... he HAS got a BA in English." "Has got" is perfectly fine as a present perfect.

The mistake in B is not in the bold, but in the preposition "to." It should read, "While I was working FOR that company, ..." (I would also put a comma after company, but many people wouldn �t.)

18 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree with MoodyMoody, although I think the British consider "has got" to be simple present, not present perfect.

Bruce

19 Nov 2012     

barbarachiote
Brazil

Thanks! You�re great!

19 Nov 2012