Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > insects: mites    

insects: mites

nemomen
Romania

insects: mites

Hello, everyone!
I �ve got a problem with this word �mite � and since you �ve been so kind to help me before, I decided to come to you again. I know it is connected to the tick in some way but what it really is, I don �t know. Any kind of explanation will be appreciated but if there is a Romanian colleague here that knows the exact English-Romanian translation that would be perfect.

20 Nov 2012      

asungilsanz
Spain

Check this:

20 Nov 2012     

nemomen
Romania

Does that mean that mites and ticks are the same thing?

20 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/arachnids/mite-and-tick-info.htm

Sophia

20 Nov 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Mites are not the same as ticks, but they are in the same zoological classification.

Ticks are small arachnids in the order Ixodida. Along with mites, they constitute the subclass Acarina. Ticks are ectoparasites (external parasites),

Ticks are blood feeding parasites.
Mites can be plant pests, or on humans Scabies mites etc

20 Nov 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

A mite can also be a small amount, as in the widow �s mite in the New Testament of the Christian Bible, or I might be just a mite prejudiced about that.

I agree that the more common definition is the creepy crawly one, but no one had mentioned the other definition.

20 Nov 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

And of course there �s di no mite. Ed

20 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

In Australia, everybody is a mite. G �dye, Mite!

Bruce

20 Nov 2012     

joannagrace2911
Philippines

Are you serious Bruce? I have a godparents who are Aussies and they say mate but of course with an Aussie accent :-) 

21 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

To back up Ed �s post:

21 Nov 2012