Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Tomorrow is a big day for "us" Americans    

Tomorrow is a big day for "us" Americans

Mietz
Germany

Sorry that I chose the Gaza example. That was the last one I could remember that somebody had been told off about for posting on the forum. BTW - Didn�t I read, that Obama declared, that he will go for Al-Quaida in Afghanistan and the border areas there. What will the consequences be for the people living there? Never mind. That�s political...

Am I allowed to state though, that I�d rather wait and see about Obama? I really, really wish I could share everybody�s enthusiasm about Obama and about all the good things he will hopefully bring. Is that happy enough?
I am rather unenthusiastic about people�s election promises. We�ve just had a re-election in one of the German states because the party that kind of won in the first place promised before the election, that they wouldn�t form an alliance with the left party. After the election they decided they had to, because there was no other choice... They lost the re-election... How does that compare to Obama? Promisses made during elections ... As I said - I wish...

I do see the point about the "Merry Christmas", "Happy Easter", "Happy Hanuka" "Happy Ramadan"(?)... I would define them as a border, because they mean well. I really don�t want these wishes to go, as I often found them to be a sign of tolerance and openess here, which I really like. Again - Where�s the line? Happiness?

OK let�s post happy political issues. Whoever defines happy...

19 Jan 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

I hope Obama will bring some change: he can if he wants, and I do feel happy, but dear fellow teachers just a simple question,

Whenever we point out the suffering of the people of Gaza here (and they (children and women in particular) have suffered too much for the last three weeks), each time almost everybody would instantly  protest and sing the usual song "no politics here, no religion"  and you are bringing this political issue (obama�s election) to the forum

What is politics, and what is not politics????

Brahim

19 Jan 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Yes. we can!!!!!!!!  Smile

Dear Lisa,

We all feel SO happy about the change it�s about to happen. Many Europeans believe
  America needs a change and we think Obama�s the best option ever so:

CONGRATULATIONS AMERICA and CONGRATULATIONS to the whole world!!!!!!!!

19 Jan 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

Most Spanish people are reallynhappy about the change.I hope the change will come true.i agree it�s a really important event but I think Mietz is also right.Let�s hope we all can make our world better.!!!!Smile

19 Jan 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi, LibertyBelle

I share your hope for a better world, so may Obama help the way so many people are waiting.

Congrats to all of you, American teachers.
Olindalima

20 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

If we can�t speak about an historical event such as the inauguration of the first American of color becoming president of one of the biggest countries in the world(in turbulent times) - then we can�t have worksheets here about slavery or racism or Martin Luther King, or Gandhi or Abraham Lincoln or any other person in history who fought for justice or tried to make things better for many people or changed the tide of history.

And as far as I can see, we have many worksheets about these people.

Everything in life is political - how can it not be?
As long as we live in this world, we�re part of the big political machinery.
As teachers, we should be able to talk about these without people
going ga ga.

An inauguration is not the same as a war.
There are no sides to take - no choosing of right or wrong.
No people getting maimed or killed.

War is a very sad thing - a new president is not.
Not being able to talk about an occasion like this is like
hiding your head in the sand.
That�s all I have to say in this matter.
L

20 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Just because I am having a different opinion doesn�t mean I�m "going ga ga". That much on your tolerance! I�m happy for you if you are happy. I never implied it�s a taboo subject. I raised the question where to draw the line. Originally the consensus was, that political issues were off the limit in the forum here. That has obviously been redefined now. The consensus seems now, that people want only happy political subjects here and unhappy political issues are still of the limit. OK. That�s fine by me.

One more question @libertybelle:
"War is a very sad thing - a new president is not." Phew! Again - Bush was new at some point. He caused war and death and... we all know that. That is, why most people are hoping, that Obama will make up for that. Again - I hope he will and can. But how can you be sooo sure he will?!

20 Jan 2009     

flaviatl
Argentina

I�m writing just to say that I agree with Mietz and aftab57.

If we all agree that political issues should be left out of this forum, then we shouldn�t be posting about the new president of the USA.

I agree that it is a big issue and all that but just to be fair with the rest of the members who might also think that what happens in their countries is as important...

In order to avoid debating where to draw the line or what can be accepted or not (and therefore running the risk of being terribly unfair with other members) I believe that ALL members should refrain from making reference to political issues.

20 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

@ flaviatl
Thanks for your support.
The thing is - I don�t want to create taboos. That�s why I�m asking where to draw the line. I think it�s important, that people are reflecting this without calling people with different opinions ga ga!
To be quite honest - some of the points in this discussion are actually really good points. I don�t have a solution for this question. That�s why I keep asking where to draw the lines, but nobody is answering that one... And on that note I�m off to bed...

20 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Okay... before I go off to bed.

Who is bringing politics into this? Obama is a PERSON - a historical figure actually because he is the first Black President in US history! That is all we have said or implied, we are not talking about war here, or American involvement in anything... THAT would be political... talking about or mentioning a person is not political - its factual, it�s news, it�s cultural as well as, in this case - historical.

And just so you guys get it right... Bush is not historical in anyway - just because he was a US President doesn�t make him historically relevant in any such way. In fact, he probably will not be remembered for much in 50 years time so I don�t know why that was even mentioned... whereas Obama will be remembered because he was the first Black President in a country that has traditionally always been "white"... I think that is a great thing, and we should be rejoicing about that.

Also, it is a great topic for the students - what better than discussing how this change will affect minorities and women... and if this could ever happen in your own country? Goodness, the discussion value of this is HUGE and it doesn�t need to be "political" ie war or suffering related...

20 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3