Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Christmas party ideas    

Christmas party ideas

flynny
United Kingdom

Christmas party ideas

Hi Guys,

We �re having a christmas party in the next few weeks and I was wondering if any of you had any good ideas for games or anything? ive been doing christmas parties for 5 years now and im kind of stuck for ideas. Our classrooms are fairly small. I kind of need something that should take about 10 mins per time to play.

Any ideas would be greatfully appriciated

Thanks

Flynny

2 Dec 2012      

Shalottslady
Belgium

I �m also having a christmas party with my students. The have picked names from a hat and for that person they will have to buy a small present (for about 5 euros) and add a personal touch to it. It is always a nice surprise that they see. However, what they like much more is the following:
1. Have them sit in a circle with a paper and pen.
2. Let them write their name on the paper.
3. Pass all the papers to the neighbour on the right.
4. Each student writes something positive on the paper.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the student has his/her own paper back with lots of positive character traits

Bound to make students feel good!

It takes a bit longer, but is everlasting!

2 Dec 2012     

evinches
France

We played pass the parcel one year. this is a traditional British party game but for my pupils I added an ESL touch.
Get a small gift (a packet of sweets, a nice pencil, a toy...) and wrap it up in fancy paper. Make a set of papers with instructions such as *"say hello to the tallest boy in the group", "ask the person on your left a question", "sing a song in English", ....you adapt these according to the level and language skills f your pupils. Then wrap the gift again including a paper with an instruction in the wrapper. (When I was young my mum used to put a sweet in each wrapping layer.)
Do as many wrappers as there are pupils or maybe a few more if it �s a small group. (Try to use paper which has already been used for something else to save the forests of our beautiful worldSmile)
You end up with a nice fat parcel
The pupils then sit in a circle and the parcel is passed from one to another while music is playing. Stop the music and the child holding the parcel at that point opens it and follows the instructions (*). Then the parcel is passed round again, music stops, parcel opened, instructions followed until they get to the gift at the last layer. The kid who gets the present is the winner and takes the prize home to enjoy.
Have fun...of course you will want to play  Christmas songs in English for the music.
Esther

2 Dec 2012     

quietgamze
Turkey

If everybody knows conditionals � �Change places If you...... � � is a fun game . 

2 Dec 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Here �s a party game you can play with children or even parents! All you need are paper plates and pens for each player. The teacher tells the players to put their paper plate on their head.Then the teacher will give a series of instructions for the players to draw on their paper plates (that are on their heads) without looking.

• Here are the instructions:

1. Draw a line for a floor.

2. Draw a Christmas Tree. Add decorations if you feel so inclined.

3. Draw a star on top of your tree.

4. Draw a fireplace with a mantel next to the tree.

5. Draw a stocking hanging from the mantel of your fireplace.

6. Draw a present below the tree.

• After the six steps have been given, let everyone look at their masterpieces. Get ready for a serious giggle fest.Then have players count up how many points they received by following this rubric:

1. 2 points if the tree touches the floor.

2. 2 points if your stocking is touching your mantel.

3. 1 point if your star touches your tree.

4. 1 point if your star is above your tree.

5. 1 point for every Christmas ornament ball that is ON your tree, etc.

6. 1 point if your fireplace doesn�t touch the tree

7. 1 point if you actually drew something decorative on your stocking (or something cute, like a tiny kitten peeking out).

8. 2 points if your present is under your tree.

Greetings from Greece,

2 Dec 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Great funny games and good ideas for the end of the term day.
Cheers
Yolanda

2 Dec 2012     

flynny
United Kingdom

wow some great games there thanks very much guys , i really like the idea of  papadeli. It sounds like it will work for all ages and would be very funny too.

Thanks ever so much

flynny

2 Dec 2012     

Dustin123
United States

Well some ideas I can suggest are 1) Word Find. Using Christmas words�Christmas, Poinsettia, Candy cane, etc.�have each person make as many smaller words from it as possible before the timer runs out. 2) Photo booth. Provide silly props and backdrops for guests to use to get silly in front of a photographer 3) Fill the Christmas stocking. Divide into teams and have the participants race to fill their team�s hanging stocking with a spoonful of wrapped candy. You can find some of the amazing ideas here http://thetshirtman.co.uk/its-the-season-to-be-jolly-what-to-do-for-christmas/

17 Dec 2013