Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "WORD OF THE DAY" Competition, New Year´s Day, 2013    

"WORD OF THE DAY" Competition, New Year´s Day, 2013

MoodyMoody
United States

I �m not going to compete in this one; I �m just going to mention that this is actually a word in my active vocabulary. I �ve been playing role-playing games practically since Dungeons and Dragons was first published in 1977, and thaumaturgy was one of the types of magic, along with transmutation, invocation and evocation, divination, necromancy, illusion, enchantment, etc. I play mostly Pathfinder now, which is published by a different company and has different names for things, but this word brings back good memories. In fact, one of my husband �s first characters, Mezman, was a thaumaturge.

Terry Pratchett also uses thaumaturgy in the Discworld books, if I remember correctly.

1 Jan 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

It �s the URGE to THAW on a  MAT after a walk through the snow and wind

1 Jan 2013     

teresasimoes
Portugal

THAUMATURGE
Les, this word sounds to me as a title to your text somehow. It has a subject character and a whole object of senses and feelings. It has to do with our teaching life stage. Our part is  magic, knowledge and peaceful feelings to play, swirling in a virtuous circle when we sow it in different fields and let it grow for many generations ever and always.

So I fancy  THAUMATURGE meaning as: Teach humorously in an urgent stage.
Happy New Year!
Thank you for everything!

1 Jan 2013     

olga.aragones
Spain

Hi, I feel a bit shy to compete. You are great.
Les, you are right: this is a very special web and it is addictive.
Happy New Year to all those people who find time to share their work, opinions, jokes, ideas...and time.
HugsHug

1 Jan 2013     

Mariethe House
France

Isn �t it simply the urge for a tomato?

1 Jan 2013     

Jayho
Australia

THAUMATURGE

Th = any of the articles the/a/an
Au = the abbreviation for Australia
ma = mum
turge = second person singular present active imperative Confused of turgeo = bombastic (among other things)

So, THAUMATURGE means a bombastic mother from downunder

1 Jan 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

Does it also mean Jayho?? 

2 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ elderbeerywine - Naughty!!!

2 Jan 2013     

< Previous   1    2