Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pullover, jumper, sweater    

Pullover, jumper, sweater

helena2009
Hungary

Pullover, jumper, sweater

Dear Friends,

Are there any differences between these words?

Thank you for your help!

Helena

3 Jan 2013      

douglas
United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_(dress)
a pullover doesn �t have buttons in the front--a sweater can.

sweaters are normally knitted

3 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Jumper is British, sweater is American. Pullover �s s bit old fashioned.

3 Jan 2013     

Jayho
Australia

They all seem to be synonyms.

In Oz, we use the words jumper and windcheater.

jumper is a knitted long sleeved  buttonless garment (woollen, cotton or synthetic fibres).  If it is buttoned it is a cardigan.  If it is sleeveless it is a vest

Sweater and pullover are both broadly understood but not really used.  I don �t know the actual definitions - I never use those words.

A windcheater usually looks like a jumper but is made from woven fabric. It is long sleeved and usually buttonless or zippered.  One that is made from fleecy fabric is often called a tracksuit top.

Hope this Aussie slant helps just a bit. 

Cheers

Jayho

3 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I used to have a windcheater when I was a kid. My husband thinks I made the term up; never hear it nowadays. 

3 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

Check the link I posted above--in America a jumper is a type of dress(not a sweater)

3 Jan 2013     

dennismychina
China

As far as I know, a pullover is a garment made of wool. It has a crew (round) or v neck and long sleeves. (A sleeveless pullover is called a slipover.) (A jersey/garment with long sleeves and buttons all the way down the front is called a cardigan)

Originally, a sweater was a garment used literally to sweat in. it was used for training. Hence sweater. Nowadays it is used as casual dress. It was made from cotton and sometime slightly fluffy on the inside to be more absorbent. In has a crew or round neck and long sleeves.

A jumper is a sloppy/comfortable pullover or sweater. Usually quite think but not necessarily. That would be British English.

3 Jan 2013