Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Past Perfect    

Past Perfect

Liligirl
Brazil

Past Perfect

Can you help me answering this exercises ?

Bob and I �����. (just got/ had just gotten) engaged

, so we went to a jewelry store to buy a wedding ring.

We �����.(just chose / had just chosen) a ring when a man with a gun ������..(came in / had come in). After the robber ����(took / had taken) Bob �s wallet, he ������.(demanded /had demanded) the ring. I ������(just handed / had just handed) it to him when the alarm����� (started/ had started) to go off , and the robber �����..(ran off/ had run off). We were so relieved

thanks in advance .

4 Jan 2013      

Poppingdale
Portugal

Hello! I hope this helps...

Bob and I  had just got engaged . (gotten is American English, often considered oldfashioned in Britain)), so we went to a jewelry store to buy a wedding ring.

We  had just chosen a ring when a man with a gun came in. After the robber had taken Bob �s wallet, he demanded the ring. I had just handed it to him when the alarm started to go off  (went off would be better), and the robber ran off. We were so relieved!

Bye!

4 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Poppingdale �s choices are right, except I don �t think past perfect is necessary in �After the robber.... Bob �s wallet � I think �took � is better.

4 Jan 2013     

florimago
Spain

I think Poppingdale �s choices are right , considering that past perfect expresses actions taking place in past but previously to another one .

4 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I don�t think you have to use past perfect after �after�. You can say, �After he did this, he did that.� 
You know, much better would be, �After taking Bob �s wallet, the robber demanded the ring.� But that wasn�t an option!

I �d be very interested to see what Les or Bruce think.

4 Jan 2013     

Liligirl
Brazil

Thanks all of you for answering and comment. 

4 Jan 2013     

miss-o
Portugal

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/just

4 Jan 2013