Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > ADS WOTY (Word Of The Year)    

ADS WOTY (Word Of The Year)

almaz
United Kingdom

ADS WOTY (Word Of The Year)

The American Dialect Society has just announced its Word of the Year 2012: hashtag (#). You can read about it here:

My personal favourite, gate lice ("passengers who crowd around an airport gate when a plane begins boarding") beat mansplaining ("when a man condescendingly explains something to female listeners") in the Most Creative category.

What �s yours?
(and, no, I �m not offering you a drink)

5 Jan 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

My favourite is dumbphone and I �ve got one. It cost me �14 and it does nothing fancy. People text me with all sorts of things but all it displays is words. It �s so uncool it �s probably cool. 

My most hated and horribly overused word this year is inappropriate.

My favourite phrase of all time (I �m on a roll, so I �ll keep going) is calculated idleness. It was one of the choices on a report card at a school I used to work in. Can you imagine it? Not just any old idleness, but calculated idleness! Great. 

5 Jan 2013     

Mariethe House
France

Very interesting! My favourite is YOLO. You Only Live Once!

BTW, Mine will be lime and shandy, Alex. You �ve said it:Too late to withdraw now. YOLO!

5 Jan 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

You �ll get the middle of a donut, Mariethe!

5 Jan 2013     

Mariethe House
France

Do you really think I am anorexic, alex?????

5 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think, dear Mariethe, Alex was making a point about Scottish hospitality. Ha ha, here �s me in the firing line!

5 Jan 2013     

Mariethe House
France

oooooooooooooooh Lynne! I don �t want to be here when the man with the kilt reacts!! ( shall we call him a sans-culottesWink , dixit Gerard)

PS: Just want to add this kind of humour does me a lot of good, especially today when everything seems to be gray around me. So , thanks a lot both of you!

5 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I am pleased to add to the gaiety of the site!

5 Jan 2013     

jannabanna
France

@ Lynne:  I added something to your witty comment about the paper hats worn by the Brits at Christmas, but unfortunately the post is no longer on the front page!   Love your humour !!

@ Almaz:  It �s not true what they say about the Scots, don �t listen to them!!  I spent my school holidays with my Scottish family and as soon as we arrived, out came the cakes and on went the kettle!  Much more hospitable than in England.  By the way, my cousins called me a "Sasonac" and said, �..�Will ye nae come back again��.. as we left!

6 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you. It was a joke based on a national stereotype. Every time I �ve been to Scotland, I �ve been treated to fish suppers and my Scottish mates even get their round in. Wink

Get their round in = take their turn buying the drinks. 

6 Jan 2013