Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Problems with phonetic script    

Problems with phonetic script

laboris
Poland

Problems with phonetic script

Dear Members
I have a technical problem with those of my contributions that contain phonetic script: when sent for publication, phonetic symbols do not display properly and one can only see strange shapes. Has anybody ever encountered a similar problem? I would greatly appreciate your help:)

Best wishes

7 Jan 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Sometimes it happens when I download contributions in which the authors use some fancy scripts that are not used by default so the words appear as some sort of symbols.
You could mention in the description you provide for your contribution the type of the phonetic script you used and, if it �s possible, give the link to a page where people could download the script for free.
For example, I use Phonetic TM and it �s available for free download in the Net.
Sophia

7 Jan 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I found these instructions on how to embed a font in Word 2007 at   
http://www.ehow.com/how_6453944_embed-fonts-word-2007.html by Jason Artman. It should help keep your phonetic symbols intact in your documents. It should work with slight modifications for Word 2010. If you actually still use Word 2003, I have no idea what to do.

Instructions

• 1 Click the round Office logo in the upper-left corner of the Word 2007 window.
    • 2 Click the "Word Options" button at the bottom of the menu that appears.
    • 4 Place a check in the box labeled "Embed fonts in the file."
    • 5 Place a check in the box labeled "Embed only the characters used in the document" to have the final document be as small as possible when it is saved. Leave this box unchecked if you expect the recipient of the document to make changes to it.
    • 6 Place a check in the box labeled "Do not embed common system fonts" to skip embedding fonts that the recipient is likely to have on their computer. If you know that the recipient is running a different operating system, leave this box unchecked.
    • 7 Click "OK," then click the floppy disk icon in the upper-left corner of the screen or press "F12" to save your document.

Read more: How to Embed Fonts in Word 2007 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6453944_embed-fonts-word-2007.html#ixzz2HLITKoPs

I never do this myself, but some contributors (I have David Lisgo in mind) will save their work as image rather than text in order to save memory. If you don �t care about your work being editable, that might be another option. I bet if you PM �d David Lisgo that he �d be delighted to explain what he does.

7 Jan 2013