Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > WORD OF THE DAY WINNER    

WORD OF THE DAY WINNER

lurdesilva
Portugal

WORD OF THE DAY WINNER

Hi there!

I am pleased to announce that I had a lot of fun while reading your entries on the word of the day. You �ve made my job difficult! However, there are two entries that really made me laugh a lot : Les Douglas   and sarguero.

But only one can win and so here �s my final decision...
The winner is ...

LES DOUGLAS!

�HETEROTRICHOSIS� is the stage name for a special Magic Illusion, performed in Germany. (Another famous stage name is �Wells Fargo�, but that�s American).

�Hetero� = �heterosexual�, shortened = male and female, (but now shortened to a very small size).

�Trich� = �trick� (but spoken with a very strong German accent).

�O sis� = �Oh! Sister!� (an American expression very similar to �Oh! Brother!� but completely different).

�Hetero� �Trich� �Oh! Sis�.

This particular Magic Illusion is performed only in Hamburg, Germany. A short, beautiful Female Assistant, with red hair and a distinctive striped costume steps into a trunk, which is then locked. There is a flash of smoke! Instantly, a tall, thin, ugly Male Assistant, covered in Tomato Sauce, jumps out of the locked trunk. Fantastic!

What has happened?

A beautiful, shapely girl has been transformed into a long, thin Hamburger.

No wonder you are themagicmanClapCongratulations!

And the real meaning of the word is : having hair of varied or mixed colours.

20 Jan 2013