Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need help    

I need help

jina0721
Korea, South

I need help

Hello : )
I �m Jina from Republic of Korea.
I �ve taught 5th grade student about pronounciation.

I have a question.

cave -> keiv
save -> seiv

but "have" is not "heiv"  it is "haev".
Why???????????

I don �t understand this.
plz help me. Cry

21 Jan 2013      

douglas
United States

As happens so often in English--it is an exception, there is no logical explanation for it.

21 Jan 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

You seem to be aware of the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet), Jina, so you probably also know that the English language has somewhere between 13 and 21 phonemic vowels but these are represented by only five vowel letters (a, e, i, o, u). The history of English spelling and pronunciation - and their relationship - is a complex one, but the simple answer is that you can �t automatically use a single spelling for a single pronunciation in English; basically, you have to learn them separately.

21 Jan 2013     

akaya
Morocco

this is due the  historical development of the word. in English there is a mismatch between the letters and the way these letters are pronounced.  the word cave is a middle english word that is borrowed from  old french cava which in turn borrowed it from old latin cavus same thing fro save. it is a middle English word borrowed from old french sauf which is borrowed from latin salvo
have on the other hand is an a middle english word (haven) which was developed from old English habban.  
some historical linguistics is of great value for English teacher. :)-

21 Jan 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Love the previous answers, but may I add that English, with all respect, is a rubbish language? In other words, it �s made up out of eleven different languages! The greatest contributers were: Latin, Greek, French, Norse, Danish, German, Spanish and Friesian.  Celtic is not even English either.  It �s derived an area from Iberia, better known as Spain, to the Black Sea.  Add some Slavian and Indian and you got a melting pot that hardly ever makes sense.  But hey, it �s so challenging everybody wants to learn it!  Thus, as Almaz adviced, learn the IPA!

21 Jan 2013     

Lizaza
Belarus

I �m far from being an expert, but I have always thought that in case with have the sound ei was  simply reduced because it �s used so frequently : )) crazy idea as it has turned out Wink

21 Jan 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You might enjoy watching The Adventure of English documentary. You will have a much better understanding of the language and what �s happened to it over the course of years.
Sophia

21 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@akaya - thanks for your post, which I really enjoyed, really informative. It �s great to look back and see how the language developed. 

21 Jan 2013