Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > (to) ski + 3rd person    

(to) ski + 3rd person

alien boy
Japan

Thanks Silke!

No, I was specifically after just �ies�.

More about this stuff when I�m feeling better!

G�night all!

22 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

....Well, I am about the same age as Alien Boy (guessing here ... but the "70�s school" comment  makes it sound like he is... ) and I had grammar and stuff like liberty was explaining - especially in kindergarden and grade one.... (you know simple stuff like  "y" is sometimes a vowel stuff... ) then again in grade 7-9... I am thinking that the US and Canadian system are/were better that way... 

How about - auntie? (And yes, it is a correct alternative my spell check isn�t going all red!)

22 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Gosh Alien Boy,-

I didn�t know language was an age thing?!

Unfortunately, the English spelling of words hasn�t been updated lately
to accommodate the changes in pronunciation.
(what is often called the corruption of language)

The rules of grammar and punctuation haven�t changed either.
So grandma or not - not much has changed.

And sky, in many Nordic languages, means to be shy or cloud.
The sky is called Himlen.

L

ps- this cheap trick of undermining people�s credibility by referring to one�s age, bugs the hell out of me.
Either people are too young and know nothing or people are too
old and still know nothing. How lame is that?

22 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Or maybe they�re neither too old nor too young & know even less (like me! Big smile)

I�d have to say spelling is a tricky one. Much American spelling is actually older in form then British English. Sometimes pronunciation is awkward to base spelling on as there are often great differences between how people from different communities say the same words (compare Standard American �o� with Standard British, just for starters!)

In English sky is derived from the Old Norse �cloud�, which isn�t quite spelled or pronounced �sky�. The main thing my illness & drug addled mind was trying to equate were along the lines that just because words may appear to be similar on the surface, they don�t always have the same root and even if they are borrowed from another language, sometimes when they were borrowed has an effect on how they are spelled. The other thing that influences particularly borrowed/loan words with regard to spelling is that the spelling is often an attempt to �sound� the word in English rather than spell it as the word is in its native tongue.

But I�m too all over the place to be coherent  at the moment (& too grumpy from exhaustion).

Hopefully I�ll make more sense next week!

23 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3