Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Besides or added to this    

Besides or added to this

Hajerka
Tunisia

Besides or added to this

could you please help me with the following sentences from a letter of complaint:

(added to this / besides / plus ) when I was shown to my room, I found that although I had asked for a private bathroom, I had nowhere to wash at all.
(At last / eventually / Last but not least) I really must mention the guide.

The suggested answers were added to this and last but not least, but I didn �t find clear difference between these linking words.

Thank you so much in advance :)

24 Jan 2013      

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Sorry, I couldn�t manage before to write then post my message to you concerning your question whether Added to this or Besides should be chosen as the correct alternative in the context you suggested. I agree with the answer suggested in the guide book on the grounds that �Added to this� seems rather informal and hence less commonly used than other linkers or transition words when writing a letter of complaint or any other writing requiring a formal register.

Here�s  a document you may find useful. www.eslprof.com/handouts/Comp/linkers.doc

24 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would write, �Besides this, when I was shown to my room, I found that ......
Last, but not least, I must ....... � 

Added to this and plus are not suitable in this context. Last but not least - this is the last in a long list of complaints. The other words at last/eventually are just concerned with sequence of events.

Hope this helps!

24 Jan 2013     

Hajerka
Tunisia

dear colleagues, thank you for your help
let me focus on "added to this". what I understood is that you agree that it is less formal than besides and is not appropriate in this context. The problem is that it is chosen as the correct answer by the textbook writer. Also I �felt � it contains some sort of complaint or negative idea. It �s like someone says "added to all the previous problems, here is another one..." Anyway I think I would tell my pupils added to this and plus are less formal and inappropriate in this context. Thank you once again
Mr Mohammed: the papers you suggested are interesting and helpful, thank you :)

24 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Also, �On top of this, � is a good opener when listing complaints. 

24 Jan 2013