Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP    

HELP

araveg
Spain

HELP

Hi, dear friends.

Yesterday I read a notice saying: "I am playing at this corner". It was in a kindergarden classroom. Children have different activities in different corners of the classroom.

I �m confused. Do you say "at this corner" or "in this corner".

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day.

2 Feb 2013      

florimago
Spain

When we �re referring to the corner of a room , we say in the corner  but If we �re referring to a corner of the street we say on the corner of at the corner

2 Feb 2013     

araveg
Spain

thank you very much. I knew that explanation. I would have written "I am playing in this corner" and I think that is the right answer, isn �t it??. But I have read "I �m playing at this corner"and  I got confused. So "I �m playing at this corner " is a mistake. They have to correct it????.

Thanks again.

2 Feb 2013     

mariec
Spain

in the corner

at the corner

2 Feb 2013     

florimago
Spain

"I �m playing at his corner" is correct if you are playing in the street, for example

2 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

We tend to use "in the corner" for corners defined by walls or fences. We use "on the corner [of]," or less often, "at the corner [of]" for corners defined by streets.  It seems to be a difference of height, because I would say, "Put the book on the corner of the table." The corner is the same height as the table. In "Put the table in the corner of the living room," the corner is defined by the walls which are higher. That �s the best explanation I can come up with.

2 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

No, MoodyMoody, it isn �t the height. The corner formed by walls or fences can "contain" something (although not completely, of course), so it is in the corner. If you compare "The pencil is in the corner of the drawer" to "The pencil is on the corner of the desk", you can see the difference.

Bruce

2 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You are right, Araveg. I think where the confusion may have crept in is that in nurseries/kindergartens, they have various �stations � with different activities going on and you take a turn �at � a station. 

Maybe??

2 Feb 2013     

araveg
Spain

Yes, cunliffe,  They have different stations (for instance Library corner, toys corner, math corner.....) So ,in spite of the grammar rules about in and at mentioned in this site,   isn �t it  a mistake to say "I �m playing at this corner"?  . Thank you very much.

2 Feb 2013