Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > ADULTS BEGINNERS    

ADULTS BEGINNERS

mkrmen
Spain

ADULTS BEGINNERS

Hello everybody!! First of all, thanks to this great web  that  helps me  and makes my job more interesting and motivating day by day. In my school we have decided to begin helping other teachers to speak in english. I�d like you to tell me what kind of activities or games should I use to teach easier classes, as they are in a very low level?

6 Feb 2013      

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I would teach them the basics of grammar and then I would start to have conversation classes with them so that they can learn vocabulary and more complex structures.
Hope it helps
Yolanda

6 Feb 2013     

mkrmen
Spain

Thanks for your help. I�ll try to do it

6 Feb 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I also think that phonics is important too.  I was teaching ESL for two years before switching to a tuition centre that focused on phonics.  In retrospect, if i had used phonics in those early two yesars it would have been good. 
I find that with the students from Asia, they see words as one character, like in their own written language, rather than a series of sounds.   So if you can get them to wrap their heads around that, it would be helpful.

6 Feb 2013     

mariajosefuster
Spain

I am using "New English File", for beginners, and apart from that, many activities from this site.

First I gave them a test (before the start of the classes) to know their English level, and what they expected to learn.

The first day, a worksheet to teach vocabulary such as "I don �t understand", "Can you repeat?...   I also asked them what they wanted to learn in the course. (Some wanted to read in English, some wanted to use it to travel, some wanted to understand some words when the computer shows them something in English...) Then we decided what we would do.

After that day, many games and activites from eslprintables, apart from the book. I use the powerpoints quite often, to teach them everything, then we practice (book) and I give them homework (workbook) and finally, an oral activity related to it,  usually from this web.

The class is really interesting.

I have made so many games that I don �t know from where to start: abc with a youtube song of abc for children,   then some powerpoints, then a worksheet to join the dots...

Computers with  video from smosh: "Magic keyboard"...

Yesterday, I taught them description, with very interesting powerpoints, and then a game called "find the detective" to draw the face they describe, for homework thay had to describe someone and then they would read it aloud and we would guess who it was. Then, I put a paper with the name of a famous person on their backs and the other students had to give them information so that they could guess the person, etc

I hope it has been useful,

MJ

6 Feb 2013