Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Infinitives as verbs?    

Infinitives as verbs?

kprichorniana
Mexico

Infinitives as verbs?

We feel a bit confused...can an infinitive be a verb. We al know that they are nouns but, when answering an exercise we found in a book. THe answer key said it is a verb.  the sentence reads as follows.

He wanted to finish his work.

why is to finish not a noun? There was a second sentence that says:

Susan wanted to talk to Rita.

where also to talk is not a noun, but a verb. Why, why, why..???

The grammar explanation says that all infinitives following a verb are NOUNS not verbs. is the book wrong? Can anyone help please!

16 Feb 2013      

miss-o
Portugal

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/to+want++to#want_1

16 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Actually, it is a verb, just not the verb of the sentence. It is a verb behaving as a noun, since it is the object of "wanted". He wanted something - what did he want? - He wanted to finish his work.

I hope this helps.

Bruce

16 Feb 2013     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Infinitive is a verb form. In your sentence: �He wanted to finish his work � to finish is an infinitive used as an object, as Bruce said.
In the book they probably mean that all infinitives used after verbs have the function of a noun.
What book is it that you�re using?

16 Feb 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Interesting that this sort of question should arise at all. It �s possible that it stems from the occasional classification in some grammars of the infinitive as a �verbal � noun (to err is human etc) which can be in a subject/object position like a �real � noun. As Bruce and Lana have pointed out, there is no doubt that the �infinitive � is the plain form of the verb. Unfortunately, confusion is introduced because the word �noun � (a category), instead of �subject � or �object � (functions), often creeps in when constructions containing this form are being parsed. Moreover, this only �works � with the to + infinitive, not the bare infinitive, which doesn �t help; for example, �finish � is an infinitive without any �noun � properties in sentences such as he should finish his work - it �s a complement of the auxiliary and couldn �t be considered a noun by any stretch of the imagination - even by the author of Elida �s book.

17 Feb 2013     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Lovely Lana, I�m using OXFORD GRAMMAR PRACTICE intermediate.

I had just taugh the lesson of infinitives and gerunds acting as nouns, and this is an excerse on parts of speech.  I understand what the book is doing now. Thank you very much for you invaluable input. I am aware that the infinitive is the plain form of a verb.  Our confusion was due to the fact that the exercise is asking to determine whether the word(s) underlined are nous, verbs, adjectives, etc... and I�ve realized now what it�s really asking. 

So thank you all for taking the time.

18 Feb 2013