Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it my job?    

Is it my job?

madamev
France

Is it my job?

Hi everyone,
I �m addressing French teachers in particular here. I �ve been asked by the headmaster to go to the nearby primary school and have the pupils pass evaluations for the A1 level. 
I �m wondering: is it my job? I mean, I �m a �TZR �, so next year I �ll certainly be somewhere else and anyway I don �t think it �s my role do so, I �d rather say it �s the primary teacher �s job...! Since they are now supposedly able to teach English in their classes, why should I spend time on this? Besides I think I wouldn �t be paid if I agreed to do it.
What �s your opinion?
I �m fed up with having more and more work to do,  getting involved in projects while next year I �ll be in another school. This status was not a choice, I �m doing my best for MY pupils, should I really do someone else �s job without being paid for it, knowing that I won �t even have them in class next year??

19 Feb 2013      

silvia.patti
Italy

In my opinion, you are right: it �s NOT your job. But if the headmaster asked you to do it, he MUST pay you extra hours to do the lessons/exams. I don �t think you are obliged to accept.
Silvia

19 Feb 2013     

titine69
France

I think it is not your job to do so.If you are teaching in a � �coll�ge",you have nothing to do in primary school and as you already said,the primary teachers are now able to do this and I think it is compulsory for them .If I were you,I wouldn �t accept it and especially if they are not going to pay .As you are a TZR they often ask you more but this is not fair.If you accept,they will ask you to do other tasks that are not yours.
Titine

19 Feb 2013     

baloochester
France

I agree with both answers, it �s not your job at all to do so ! If English is taught in the nearby primary school it means the kids have a teacher, so this teacher who teaches them English should be the one to do it !

If I were you I wouldn �t accept it, iif you agree with this request then they �ll keep on asking you more and more.

19 Feb 2013     

madamev
France

Thanks a lot for all your answers! Indeed if I �m not paid extra hours I will simply tell them I �m not willing to work for free. If, on the contrary, he tells me I �ll be paid, I �ll think twice about it. But as you said, if I accept they might ask me more and more... Moreover, even if I �m paid extra hours, I won �t be paid for all the work this type of evaluation requires!
So I think I �ll refuse, they can �t force me anyway!
Thanks again for giving me your opinions,they confirm my decision!
Hugs and kisses!

19 Feb 2013     

mimau
France

If I were in your shoes I wouldn �t do it... It �s nonsense. It has nothing to do with money. This is not your job....end of discussion!

19 Feb 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

a couple years ago I remember that a similar situation occured in the secondary school where I worked... my colleague was asked to work with the primary school teachers to coordinate the lessons/evaluations. however they settled everything before the school started and come september she was paid 2 extra hours a week and had arranged a timetable so that she could have time to go to the primary school and meet with the teachers there. and she also was in charge of all the 6e for 2 years to make sure what she had started was working...
we used to work on wednesday together to create a leaflet that the pupils could keep throughout their years in primary and secondary schools... (to validate the levels A1, A2 and B1)
but she WANTED to do it - no one forced her!

19 Feb 2013     

madamev
France

Thanks for those replies^^ Mimau I agree with you!
Elodie, I understand it would be useful, but as I said next year I �ll be elsewhere so the situation is quite different. That must have been quite a long time ago, since there is less and less money now to pay for extra hours!! ;)

19 Feb 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

All I tried to point out is that it was a long term commitment, so a TZR who �s here for just a year might not be the best person to do all that work... but i �m sure they asked you because no one else wanted to do it and they thought as a new-comer you would not refuse :(

19 Feb 2013     

lilyvalley24
France

Hi!
The only way to know if you have to do it and have no possibility to refuse is to look for the answer in official texts.
And as sometimes, these texts are not easy to find, you can call/contact a trade union even if you are not a member yourself. They �ll help you find the answer and tell you how to act with your boss.

19 Feb 2013     

madamev
France

You �re absolutely right Elodie! The problem is: I have almost all the 6� this year, and the other colleague is on a maternity leave and I �m pretty sure she �ll refuse.
Thanks Lily, I �ll contact them in order to know what to say, but I �m quite certain they can �t oblige me!
Thanks to you all for your support!

20 Feb 2013