Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Talking about tests    

Talking about tests

dobrawaa
Poland

Talking about tests

Hi,

I �ve been thinking for a long time how to talk about tests.  Do you say,
�Next week I will be writing a test on / from Maths?"

or

"Next week I am writing a test on / from Maths?"

I will be grateful for any suggestions!

Ania

24 Feb 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

The most natural way to say it, I think, is "Next week I �m taking a math test." (Maths is the British so "maths test" is okay.") Also acceptable is "Next week I �m taking a test in math(s)." There �s nothing wrong with using the future continuous; most Americans at least are too lazy to use the more complicated tense when present continuous will do just fine.

"Writing a test" is what teachers do when we prepare a test for the students. We take tests in a subject and on a particular topic. Example: "Next week I �m taking a test on fractions." And high school students must pass a test from the state in order to graduate from high school. I hope this helps!

24 Feb 2013     

dobrawaa
Poland

Thank you!

24 Feb 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

The more correct form, following the intention, would be "I �m going to write a test for next week."  Assuming you speak from the teacher �s point of view.  I �ve never heard a student talk about "going to take a test". They �ll say "I have a math test next week". (In the present simple as it is scheduled.)  No on/from, and as we Aussies are lazy buggers too, we �ll say "I �m gonna write a test".
If you want to talk about it, simply say to your ss: "OK, guys, let �s talk about a test. What you reckon?"  :-) 

24 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

How about, �I �m setting a maths test. �

24 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Peter Hardy, we say "I have a math test next week" here in the States as well. Lynne, I �ve never heard "setting a maths test" before; I �ll have to remember that one.

So, dobrawaa, you have opinions from 3 different English-speaking countries. Take your pick.

24 Feb 2013     

zoemorosini
United States

I agree with MoodyMoody.

24 Feb 2013     

dobrawaa
Poland

Thank you Tongue

25 Feb 2013