Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > FAMILY    

FAMILY

steelcity
France

FAMILY

Hello everyone!

I �m looking for some ideas to make my pupils memorize some voc in a funny way!
I �m not looking for worksheets nor online games (I use them too much sometimes)

I �d like them to play games or move around and speak!

If you know any drama-based activities, or card games or anything! that would be great!

Thanks a lot!

25 Feb 2013      

sarguero
Spain

Perhaps with a song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz931pcxUR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRcZ-BBikfQ

25 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Here are some oldie-but-goodie ideas:

Charades: give the student a verb or a job to act out. The actor can �t say or draw anything. The other students try to guess what the word is.

Hangman: give the students a category and blanks to represent letters in a word. My class plays it in teams: one player guesses a letter. If the letter is there, I write it in the blank or blanks, and the student gets 15 seconds to guess the word. If not, it goes in the used letter area and I draw a part of the body (on a bed, not a gallows). Teams get 10 points if they guess the word and one point for each correct letter.

Class surveys: have students ask about opinions on the vocabulary words, if appropriate. If you are teaching about sports, for example, give each student a different sport and ask them to ask each other "Do you like pole vaulting, curling, synchronized swimming, etc.?" You can even sneak in a math lesson on percentages.

Word of the Day: this works when you are reviewing prefixes, suffixes, or word roots. Go over the meanings of the pieces, and then give the students an outlandish word that contains one or more of those roots and see if they can figure out what the meaning of the word is. For example, if you break down "pediatrician," it contains ped- child, -iatr-, treatment, and -cian, person. Then give them the word "iatrogenic" and see if they can figure that out. (See if you can figure it out without looking at a dictionary. I �ll even give you gen- origin.)

I hope this helps you get started.

25 Feb 2013     

Mariethe House
France

You can try these games and there are plenty more on busyteacher.org

http://busyteacher.org/8479-6-absolutely-essential-esl-games-for-vocabulary.html

25 Feb 2013     

diddy2703
France

You can do a memory game like this one:
http://smythstoys.static.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/product_images/117367_L.jpg
but they match the image with the word instead

25 Feb 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

This site has nice matching cards activities, board games, go fish, etc.  My students really enjoy learning vocabulary this way.

I have board races in class (2 teams have to write the word correctly have hearing it.)  You can also give students flashcards and ask them to line up according to what they hear (for example, blue, yellow, red etc.)

Have fun.

25 Feb 2013     

mariajosefuster
Spain

I put on the blackboard the words they have to learn this lesson (maybe 40) and they have to translate them into Spanish starting with the first word in the list. I write down the name of the student after the last word they have been able to translate. I do that with many students, so I have many students � names and many words in the blackboard. They love it because thay want to participate and to be able to reach the end of the list.
When I think they know it by heart, I do the same with a timer (online timer sometimes). They have to reach the end of the list in 50 seconds. Sometimes even an auction: who wants to try 30 seconds? Noone? And forty seconds?...
They love it.

MJ

26 Feb 2013     

cciliaa
Mexico

For new vocabulary, I make both picture and word cards. I put them faced down on their desk. Then I play a fun song and they have to look at their card and stand up to try to find their match. When they do, they say the word, spell it, or whatever you choose.. :)

26 Feb 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

I forgot "Spiders and Candy" from MES English.  My lower level students just love it.

26 Feb 2013     

steelcity
France

Thanlk you very for all your great ideas!

If you �ve got some more to secifically teach family vocab! ;-)

26 Feb 2013