Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WORKSHEETS_HOW THEY LOOK, WHAT THEY ARE REALLY WORTH    

WORKSHEETS_HOW THEY LOOK, WHAT THEY ARE REALLY WORTH

malgorzata
Poland

WORKSHEETS_HOW THEY LOOK, WHAT THEY ARE REALLY WORTH

Dear Friends,

I would like to touch on a subject of worksheets.  They are great, so colourful with all these templates, but don �t you think, it �s not the point? Langugage is the core, not how sophisticated way we are going to use to present or check it. I think, a lot of members have gone too far just to make worksheets look awesome, but what about the language? I, myself, have found lots of mistakes and had to correct the worksheets. Is that the point of this website? I think, the better the content, the better the worksheet. Please, share your views...

Gosia

9 Mar 2013      

manonski (f)
Canada

Nobody is perfect. Mistakes will happen.

If you don �t want to correct mistakes, just don �t download the printables in question.

For a lot of people here, English is a second language, myself included. The purpose here is to share. It �s not my place to judge other people �s work.  If I sense it �s too much trouble to modify  because of the language on a worksheet, I simply choose something else or make it myself.

I �m just grateful of the quantity of free material available here.

9 Mar 2013     

libertybelle
United States

I too was irritated by the mistakes - but luckily these WS are made in Word so we can correct them, adapt them to our classes and even delete some of the pictures. We can also make the font easier to read for the younger students. There is no limit to what you can do.
One teacher showed all the colorful WS on a Smart board and another showed them on an overhead projector - no photocopying!
The kids loved the colors and wrote all the answers in their notebooks.
So there are many ways to use these WSs.
I do think people ought to use a bit more time on spelling before uploading their stuff.

Libertybelle

9 Mar 2013     

Mar�lia Gomes
Portugal

You seem to be saying that only the colourful worksheets contain mistakes.  Wrong! Any type of worksheet may contain mistakes, even the ones which aren �t colourful. I find the colourful ones more interesting and so do my pupils. They just love them! If it �s about downloading the non-colourful ones, I can use a regular book.   I have downloaded some. I always have time to print and check every worksheet, before I use it, even the one I did.   I change some of them to adapt them to what we teach in our country. You should do that too.

9 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

It �s easy -you have 500,000 printables to choose from.  With so much choice you can then simply download just the ones that meet your expectations and amend if you have to.

If you prefer worksheets that are presented more plainly and guaranteed to be error free then I recommend you subscribe to a fee paying website.

I LOVE this website and have learned to present my lessons differently with some of the wonderful games and activity cards uploaded here

Cheers

Jayho

9 Mar 2013     

heikeo53
Mexico

I mentioned the same topic before, dear malgorzata and received nothing but critical comments. Nobody is perfect, so I don �t care if I find a mistake, but all these fancy layouts are not necessary. I wonder if teachers don �t have to pay for copies, well I do and therefore I care for the content more than I do for frames and gifs etc.

9 Mar 2013     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

@ Jayho - I have also learnt so much from other people �s work about how to present worksheets/lessons - yes, there have been mistakes from time to time, but we all make mistakes. I find this site invaluable and wouldn �t be without it!!!!

Terri

9 Mar 2013     

abitano
Argentina

We can always choose not to choose.

Be happy on higher ground!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBSDquJw7w&list=PLyTF6_-zkw1WWmh_pRobB3CIIUAIyn5_v

9 Mar 2013     

hardcase
France

Hi everyone...I �ve got a feeling that someone already touched upon this topic a couple of weeks ago (well about the colourful side of the worksheets...)
Personnally I am also very grateful for this site, as I believe that it has given me great ideas - it has enabled me to teach something I had in mind in a totally different manner. Isn �t that the aim of such a site?
I think we are greatly privileged to have such a site, it is rare to have so many people from different countries sharing their work, I don �t know about any other discipline doing so. Let �s appreciate what we have got and I agree - what is correcting some mistakes compared to all the work load of doing a ws oneself..???
I also correct mistakes, I also have to change the characters sometimes, as the Russians do not have the same type as me...I always do this straight away, if there is something to adapt (like taking out the teacher �s name, or the name of a school...)
If you are talking about mistakes, we could even go further and say that mistakes are to be found even in the descriptions of the documents sometimes, so what? I know that when I type really fast, I inverse letters...it doesn �t mean that makes me a bad teacher or person.
Thank you for reading me and have a lovely Sunday. Bye......

10 Mar 2013     

alex076
Italy

Colours, images, games, nice frames and fun are important parts of teaching and learning.

Mistakes can be corrected and layouts adjusted. Always.

If you really wish, you can tell the author of the WS about the wrong words / parts (people often learn from their mistakes).

This site and most of the contributions are PRECIOUS, despite their inaccuracies! 

Alex

10 Mar 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

I agree with most of the posters here. Of course the language is the most important but the value of an atractive lay-out should not be underestimated. I teach kids and i am convinced that it is easier to learn things when they are presented in a pleasant way. Since I cannot print/project color I will usually prefer the creative black and white sheets or sheets without heavily colored borders (since they turn all dark on a zerox). The beauty of this site is, however, that I can indeed choose what I prefer. The offer is so varied that I can simply forgo those that don �t suit my tastes. Same with mistakes. I agree that it is a good idea to proofread/spellcheck before uploading, just like we teach our students to proofread their work before they hand it in. Still, a mistake can always slip in, we �re all just human. Since Victor in his wisdom insists only Word can be uploaded here, we can correct mistakes fairly easily (main reason for not uploading pdf �s). Sometimes, when a mistake is very obvious or serious I will send a PM to the uploader, suggesting to correct. Not because I cannot do it myself (usually I do, I don �t have the patience to wait for an updated version) but because I want to help the uploader who would probably get more downloads if the mistakes were not there. Usually I get a nice PM back, thanking me for the suggestion. Again, this is the beauty of this site: We share, we learn, we grow...
I for one, wouldn �t have become the teacher I am now, if it wasn �t for this site - and the people who make it into what it is!

10 Mar 2013     

1    2    Next >