Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "It would be the first time ..." Help with grammatical structure    

"It would be the first time ..." Help with grammatical structure

NanG
Argentina

"It would be the first time ..." Help with grammatical structure

Hi everyone!

I �m in doubt. Can you tell me which one is correct, please?

This would be the first time we would do / had ever done / did this kind of project.

Thanks in advance!

Lots of love!

NanG

15 Mar 2013      

april
Spain

Hi,
I think the right answer is had ever done. with ordinals (the first time / the third person/ the fifth beer..) you have to use perfect tenses

15 Mar 2013     

anaram
Spain

To be honest, I don �t know the answer to your question but I find it very interesting and I�ve searched a little.

My first thought was that all three options could be possible with a slight difference in meaning and, in  the Corpus  of Contemporary American English, if you type the phrases:  � it would be the first time� or �this would be the first time�,  you can find 78 examples altogether which include all three options (among others): past perfect, past simple and would.

If you found this as a multiple choice grammar activity, the information does not help very much but I honestly think, from the discourse analysis point of view, the three options are possible in the adequate contexts.

Best wishes

16 Mar 2013