Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Just a curiosity...    

Just a curiosity...

Lauroka
Brazil

Just a curiosity...

I�m worried with my little students. They�re 5/6 yo and books we use are, sometimes, from other countries. I realized that in their level some books demands they read some easy words. Here in Brazil our "abc" process starts at this level, age like 5/ 6. And there, how old are they when your kids start reading?

17 Mar 2013      

lulaig
Argentina

Well, it depends on each child. Anyway, here children`s literacy starts (in general) between the ages 5 and 6, that is at the end of kinder and during their first grade at primary school. Whya are you worried? 

17 Mar 2013     

teacherlorella
Brazil

Hello, I am also from Brazil and I understand what you mean. I �ve got a 6-year old who started reading at the age of 5 but most of his friends didn �t. If I were you, I wouldn �t focus on the written words, even though the book brings them. Just give them clear instructions, show the word and they �ll naturally deal with them. They are used to not understanding what �s written :). I think the focus depends a lot on the teacher. I hope to have helped you.

17 Mar 2013     

Lauroka
Brazil

Thanks for helping!!

17 Mar 2013     

dillydi
United Kingdom

The earlier children are introduced to words the better, take the words from the books and make word cards, i.e. as flash cards.  We concentrate on sounds/rhyming in the reception class which are 4/5 year old here. 

18 Mar 2013     

Lauroka
Brazil

But school or even parents they don�t charge you results, and children get so frustrate they can�t read? 

18 Mar 2013