Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > portfolios. Are they useful?    

portfolios. Are they useful?

mariajosefuster
Spain

portfolios. Are they useful?

Hi, everybody, could you please anwser this question?

I have never used a portfolio in my classes and I don �t even know exactly what they are, although I have been looking on the internet and in eslprintables to get some information.

What I think I understand is that you can give the students homework to do on the portfolio, i.e. online, and that it will be kept there for ever, so that they can have a look at it the following years. They can also self-evaluate their work, but  I have got loads of questions about them:

- Should it be used by all the English teachers in a school or can it just be one?

-  Is it useful for the students?

- Does it take time from the classes so that it can become a problem sometimes?

- Do the students participate willingly or do you have to force them to do it?

- Do the students like it?

I am thinking of starting next course with students aged 12, with a very low English level and not very motivated to learn English. What is your opinion about it?

Thank you very much for all your answers as I am thinking of trying it next year but I have to decide it now and speak to the rest of the English teachers to see their opinion about it.

Really thankful,
MJ

18 Mar 2013      

silvia.patti
Italy

some years ago I used it with my students; I gave them something to do, above all short texts about family, sport, hobbies...; then I checked them at home and gave them back. I used portfolio with my 11 y.o. students and they were enthusiastic, but in the last years I have changed my opinion: it �s a lot of work for me to check mistakes and at the end of the year they are no more interested in what they have done.
For your students it could be more useful to write real letters/postcards/e-mails and receive an answer.
Silvia

18 Mar 2013     

mariajosefuster
Spain

Thank you very much. I think I will do that: not use the portfolio ans start writing e-mails, letters... next year.

Really thankful,

MJ

19 Mar 2013     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I am in the project of Portfolio but if I tell you the truth, it is not working as it should. Children don �t see the importance of the project (and nor do I) because they are supposed to have documents they have worked on forever and that �s really little practical because who keeps documents forever? On the other hand, it takes kids and teachers a long time and as Silvia said it is not worth the effort. That �s only my opinion, anyway
Yolanda 

19 Mar 2013