Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > how do you give grades????    

how do you give grades????

iamirish21
Spain

how do you give grades????

Hello. I just wanna ask
How do you give grades to your student when they have an exam.
example: the total of questions - 55
             he has got               - 32
so, 32 divided by 55 and I will multiply it to 10?
                so that will be - 5.8? that will be his grade? Is it correct..

Guys, tell me how do you give grades here in spain???
I �m a private tutor and I sometimes give them an exam but I don �t know if it �s correct or not.

19 Mar 2013      

miss K.
Ukraine

There is nothing wrong with giving an exam to students. Would you like to come up with a grading system of your own, the one you are comfortable with? That �ll give your students the taste of culture as well.

19 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

If you multiply by 100 instead of 10, you �ll have a percentage, which is a very common way of grading. So, your student �s score would be 58%.

Bruce

19 Mar 2013     

danygera
Spain

In primary school, teachers taught me this:
if 55 represents 10 points
32 represents X points
You then do: X = (32*10) / 55 = 5.8

So yes, your student has 5.8/10.

I find that many Spanish students/parents like to have a number out of 10 once in a while (although some are a bit blinded by the number). I regularly give them tests with either a general comment or a mark out of 10. 

You can also refer to European exams (Cambridge, Trinity) to get a better idea of how your student is progressing. For example, I use KET tests for an A2 level, PET for a B1, or FCE for a B2. If you�re lost, google it! The criteria and marking schemes are all online. I�ve found that many people are interested in knowing if they are an A1 A2 B1 B2, etc.

Good luck!

19 Mar 2013     

Zora
Canada

My opinion, I lived, studied and worked in Spain, is just to mark as you would normally.

Some Spanish teachers have an extremely odd way of marking... I have seen questions that were missing some element that really didn �t matter get 0.3 of a mark whereas another on the same exam got 0 �8 and 1.75! It �s insane.

I was also told that one of my student �s teachers divided by 4 and did something else... And I checked the calculations and it was true!

Needless to say, the way they mark is a bit subjective and quite honestly shouldn �t matter as long as it �s fair and consistent.

19 Mar 2013     

abba
Spain

Hi iamirish, as a teacher in a school, I mark written exams using your formula, but Zora is right, you have to decide what method you want to use, and as long as it is fair and you can explain it to your students and they understand it, it �s perfectly right.

19 Mar 2013     

iamirish21
Spain

Thanks guys! It helped a lot! :))))

19 Mar 2013