Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Difference in meaning    

Difference in meaning

beefeater
Albania

Difference in meaning

Could you please explain me the difference between them?

LAND/ GROUND/ SOIL/EARTH

Thanks!!!

21 Mar 2013      

yanogator
United States

With my Spanish-speaking students, I used to have a lesson on the 7 meanings of the Spanish word "tierra" in English. These are four of the meanings (except soil, which I think is suela in Spanish).

Land - essentially is what you own. A farm is on a plot of land. A private house is on a lot, which is land. An office building is on a lot, which is land.
When you leave a ship, you go from being on the water to being on land.

Ground - what you walk, stand or sit on (and get your trousers dirty). Don �t sit on the concrete. It �s too hard. Put a blanket on the ground and sit on that.

Soil - what you can pick up in your hand, especially in a farming/gardening sense. The soil is great in my backyard, so I have a wonderful garden. If you plant the same crop every year, the soil will be depleted of nutrients.

earth - can by essentially synonymous with soil. It is also the planet we live on. There are many farms here in Ohio, because the earth is very good/because the soil is very good.

I hope this is what you need to know. There are many other nuances, but these are the basics.

Bruce

21 Mar 2013     

aloga
Spain

Thanks, teacher!
I always learn from you, Ana

22 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

I forgot to add that if soil is on your clothes or your hands (or anywhere it isn �t wanted), it is called dirt.

Bruce

22 Mar 2013