Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Substitute teacher..help    

Substitute teacher..help

Baadache
Canada

Substitute teacher..help

Hello,

I recently work as a substitute teacher in primary and secondary schools in Quebec. It is not  that easy when you replace teachers.

I just want to know if you have ever worked as substitute teachers  .....how did you manage your class...what tricky things that calm down pupils, how could you make the difference. I hate to recieve a note because of being unable to control my class. Please, I  �ll be so happy if you can share  any of your successful strategies and experiences ....and useful sites about substituting.

I thank you in advance,

24 Mar 2013      

Granny elie
Ireland

Plan your class carefully but do not try to do too much. Have extra fun activities to end the class, when they have finished the assigned work, it helps them to get the work and finish, for the fun!

24 Mar 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

Why are the students misbehaving? Is it because they don �t understand the task or because they are done? Maybe you could  have extra activities or be ready to play a game to reward the students at the end of the class.
I also have some positive memos that I sign and give to my students so they can show their parents they worked well in class.

Having a class plan is also a good idea. It �s always easier to manage students when you can call them by their name.

24 Mar 2013     

irawinj
Malaysia

Through my experiences, becoming a substitute is rather difficult at first. You don �t have any teaching experience and doesn �t know what are pedagogy and methodology of teaching. Then, I recalled back my schooling time...what are my expectations from my teacher? Which teacher affected you most in your learning? Put yourself in their shoes...sometimes. Gather this and use it. Bearing them(the pupils) in your mind when you plan your lesson.

24 Mar 2013