Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > On correction: How much do you correct your students?    

On correction: How much do you correct your students?

BRAHIM S
France

On correction: How much do you correct your students?

Dear all,
Happy Sunday to everyone
I just would like to have the opinions of you, dear fellow teachers, on the above question; How much do you correct your students?
In particular I would be very happy to read comments by  the silent visitors of this wonderful website (I used to be one: coming here frequently, reading comments on the forum, downloading and uploading... but never posted anything on the forum... then as there is always a beginning to everything, I started once and then quickly became addicted)
Returning to my question, a great part of our job, naturally,  is to help our students in their learning, which means correcting them.

I know there is too much literature on this issue, which I partly  raised in my dissertation, but that is theory. What I want to know is how you cope with correction in practice

A great deal of my students, adults in companies in particular, would always ask to be corrected (Whenever I start with a group or an individual, after testing, defining the needs  and expectations, I ask them a few questions among which �what is your attitude to correction�

The usual trend is a general huge need to be corrected, with some students persisting to be corrected systematically, which I don�t do of course

I rather opt for an intermediate approach, (something in between  laxism (let them speak approach) and hyper correction) where only the most important mistakes are corrected, after the student�s contribution

The  problem, however, is the limits of correction. Correcting something does not guarantee the mistake will never be made again

I always recall the example of a teacher who was decided to correct, for once, the frequent mistake �more easy than� and devoted a whole lesson to comparatives.  Before leaving he asked his students �everything should be clear now� to which one of the students replied �yes Sir, comparatives are more easy now�

25 Jan 2009      

daysealvesbarbosa
Brazil

Yes, Brahim, that has happened to me many times. Over correction doesn�t guarantee that sts will speak correctly... But adults don�t believe that. They keep asking to be corrected on the spot. I think that there�s no determined limit for correction. It depends on each student. There have been several theories on when and how much to correct... structural approach.. communicative approach... and learning depends on style... I�m quite in favor of Howard Gardner and his theory on learning styles... It depends..on students� attention...which depends on students� learning style...By the way, the student who said ..."Yes, sir, comparatives are more easy now" was one who asked to be always corrected?

25 Jan 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I usually correct  the most important mistakes and pay attention to those which are often repeated to work on that a bit harder.

Depending on the class, a good technique with young adults and adults is to write down the mistake on the board  (in a group class) or on a sheet of paper (in one to one classes),  ask them to find out what�s wrong, cross it out and write down the correct form in big block letters  (visual aid).

They  have a look at those papers from time to time and there are those who even highlight some corrections in order to fix them.

it works for me...and them!  Smile

25 Jan 2009     

[email protected]
Canada

Hi guys,�

I agree with your intermediate approach Brahim.�

In the end, I think the most important thing is to make sure the class maintains the expectation of a high level of English. I am very tough on my students when it comes to writing. I often return their writing assignments covered with corrections. I find this helps to keep the stronger students humble.�

In terms of verbal correction...I usually correct reoccurring or blatant errors right away with my moderate or stronger students but I�correct weaker students sparingly. It is such a struggle for them just to get the courage to speak. I�ll usually take them aside during quiet work to give them pointers. But I make it clear that everyone speaks and makes mistakes.�I�ll often openly correct my own mistakes when I make them. The kids love it when I tsk tsk myself over incorrect grammar.�

There�s no way you can ever correct everyone�s mistakes all the time but it�s important to just have the kids talking and have each student learn how to self correct him or her self.�

25 Jan 2009     

spring
Turkey

Hi Brahim,
I usually work with children and they don�t like to be corrected much.They find this irritating if it is done constantly.They claim to lose their encourage so I give importance to major mistakes and make the students repeat the accurate one a few times in different tones which is quite amusing and prevents the feeling of discouragement.
But if you say does it work in the second time,NOLOL

25 Jan 2009     

freddie
Canada

One method I have found useful with the adults I work with is to hold them responsible for their own mistakes. If they always depend on the teacher they don`t self correct. In group work I appoint one member to be in charge of correcting grammar or other mistakes (they can ask me for help if they aren`t sure). I do alot of `find the mistakes` activities when there is a high frequency mistake in the group to bring their attention to the problem and they have to find and correct it. For some writing tasks I encourage peer correction. Of course there are issues of relationships between students that one must be sensitive about but I find facilitating self-correction to be very valuable.

25 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Most of the studies I�ve looked at recommend correction occur in the following order (most effective to least effective):

- self correction;
- peer correction (in a classroom context);
- teacher correction.

I tend to agree with the middle ground approach you take BUT the form & frequency of correction is really dependent upon a couple of other factors - purpose of the class & level of the students� ability. If you have students who are taking conversation lessons the main thing is to encourage them to communicate - everyone makes the same sort of mistakes when learning any second language (or so the studies I�ve been reading seem to indicate) so as the students improve their confidence & understanding of English they wioll self correct and have peer correction kicking in too.

If your students are studying academic or specific more advanced Englishes, then correction should happen in a more structured manner in a way that the student can relate properly to their studies - not necessarily by interrupting the flow of their presentation but maybe as a summation.

Just a few thoughts!

26 Jan 2009     

wiostahi
Peru

well here I try to make everyone involved with the correction part.
Most of the time my class is divided in groups as a game so there are two to three groups per class (each group with 3 to 4 students) so during the whole class the students compete with each other to get points (that helps in order to keep the attention).
When a student is doing an exercise everyone is ready to participate if there is a mistake but besides this working on "extra examples" on the board also helps to be sure if the class understood the idea.

*while reading I like using one technique that helped me a lot.

26 Jan 2009     

wiostahi
Peru

well here I try to make everyone involved with the correction part.
Most of the time my class is divided in groups as a game so there are two to three groups per class (each group with 3 to 4 students) so during the whole class the students compete with each other to get points (that helps in order to keep the attention).
When a student is doing an exercise everyone is ready to participate if there is a mistake but besides this working on "extra examples" on the board also helps to be sure if the class understood the idea.

*while reading I like using one technique that helped me a lot.

26 Jan 2009     

wiostahi
Peru

this technique is the "next word game"

as I explained before there are 2 to 3 groups in the class  so when I have a reading I ask the students to read in steps, for example:

*one student starts the reading (but he reads just one word) the next student student the following word and so on.
*at the end everyone just read one single word everytime.
*they have to be aware of their classmates mistakes or wrong pronunciation so they can get points if they correct them
 in that way you can...

work on pronunciation, words meaning and keeping the class paying attention in order to get points.

26 Jan 2009