Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A limited number...    

A limited number...

*Maria*
Russian Federation

A limited number...

Dear colleagues! A stupid question but... Which is correct - "There is only a limited number of places" or "There are only a limited number of places"?

28 Mar 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

A plural verb is needed after a/an (large, small, etc.) number of�
Check here under #4
Sophia

28 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Maria

No question is stupid - consider it a mental block

This reference from trusty Purdue Owl explains it quite nicely:

In sentences that begin with there are or there is, pay attention to what follows there are or there is. This element is what determines whether you use are or is. If the subject is plural, you use are; if the subject is singular, you use is.
  • There are two cookies left.
  • There is one chance to make a first impression

Cheers

Jayho

28 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Except, Jayho, that doesn �t work here, because the element after it is the singular noun "number", which is singular, but, as Sophia correctly pointed out, we say "there are".

Bruce

28 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Point taken Bruce - obviously I�m having a mental block too because I didn�t think about it and I was assuming that "number" was plural as is "places", and hence �are�, and not " a/the number" but now I think my reasoning may be incorrect.

For some reason, maybe a number of reasons, I can�t open Sophia�s link (or some other links either) but I�ve just googled "number of" and it�s very interesting.  I�d never really thought about "number of" before.

Basically: "the number" is a singular collective noun. "The number of applicants is steadily increasing." "A number," on the other hand, is a plural form: "There are several students in the lobby. A number are here to see the president."

Here�s what Grammar Monster says but I don�t understand their toads/weeds example.  Do you?

Cheers

Jayho

28 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There is only a limited number of places left. 

Not a stupid question, after all! Quite an interesting one that has some of us on different sides of the fence. But I�m right. Big smile

29 Mar 2013     

*Maria*
Russian Federation

The script I copied the sentence from gives �There are �. Can it be American? And �there is � British?

29 Mar 2013