Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Today...    

Today...

bibikos
Greece

Today...

good afternoon to all of you!

Would it be acceptable to say "Today it is a lovely day" or "it" should be omitted?

thanks

29 Mar 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Both are fine, but if you want to keep the it, a better word order is It �s a lovely day today.

29 Mar 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Good morning! I would prefer "Today is a lovely day," or as Lynne states, "It �s a lovely day today." English doesn �t often use both a pronoun and its antecedent as a subject.

29 Mar 2013     

bibikos
Greece

well, this sentence is quite vague to foreigners as there �s no grammar rule. I corrected a pupil �s sentence that was writing "Today is a lovely day" by inserting "it" and now I have to explain to my supervsor why I did it. So, I would like to know if there is a rule accepting "Today it is a lovely day". Thanks all of you for your help

29 Mar 2013     

teresasimoes
Portugal

I think "it" should not be used in this case, since "Today" is the subject, we don�t need "it". Unless we want to stress the word "Today". But in that case we should change punctuation.

29 Mar 2013     

bibikos
Greece

but dear Teresa, isn �t "today" a time expression and not a subject of the verb?

29 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Teresa and Moody are right, Bibikos. Strictly speaking, if you want to insist on Today it is a lovely day, you should put a comma after Today and possibly an exclamation mark at the end, because you are emphasising today or lovely. I � afraid it doesn �t sound all that natural and I would back off this one, if I was you. Whereas I said both were OK, there wasn �t really a need to correct your student. Say it was a slip of the pen and move on. 

29 Mar 2013     

bibikos
Greece

Ok thanks so much for your advice!

Have a nice weekend

29 Mar 2013