Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how to make printables    

how to make printables

dmharg
Greece

how to make printables

Hi everyone! I am so glad to be a member of this community. Anyway, I would like to ask you  how you make all these wonderful, colourful worksheets. Mine is only black and white. I have so many things to share with you, but are things that I have downloaded from other websites and I know that is against the rules. :) so tell me, what programme should I use in order to make my contributions more eye catching . Thank you so much    Big smile

29 Mar 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You can choose templates from here - see the section at the top of this page. However, there are many of us who appreciate the content rather that the colour and the fancy bits. 

29 Mar 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Most people simply use Word and find royalty-free clip art. The later versions of Word are better for graphics, but Word 2003 will do. If you use later versions of Word (or Power Point), remember to Save As Word (or Power Point) 97 - 2003.

Even easier: look at the top of the home page here and click on Templates. Other users have provided the graphics you need. Please give the creator credit when you make your worksheet, however.

You can also click on Tutorials, which are lessons on how to improve your worksheets.

I hope this helps!

29 Mar 2013     

dmharg
Greece

Τhank you !!! Cunliffe I agree with you but I think it is easier for  children to do their tasks when they are full of cartoons and bright  colours Smile 

29 Mar 2013     

irawinj
Malaysia

Yes..I agree with you, dmharg. We make worksheet for the children and not for us. They really like colourful stuffs and not things full of exercises and also totally plain worksheet (b&w). Hope you be able to built beautiful worksheets and put smiles on your children faces.

29 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Good point, but many of us teach secondary (11-16), or adults. Clip art is great, but often the images can look too babyish and I have to remove them.

It �s all about variety and choice, I suppose!

29 Mar 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

True, Lynne, I teach adults myself. Also, since the duplicating budget at my community college is pathetic (I can print only 250 copies a semester for two classes; otherwise, I need to order 2 weeks in advance), I usually print most of my worksheets with my own money. Color is just too expensive.

Now, presentations should be filled with color! Those usually aren �t printed out anyway. But even then, I agree with Lynne: many times the pictures that are good for 5-year-olds are demeaning for 50-year-olds.

29 Mar 2013     

languaria
Germany

You can find wonderful sites offering free clipart in our bookmarks:

29 Mar 2013     

irawinj
Malaysia

MoodyMoody...250 copies per semester? Its sad to hear that. Education should be priority and coughing out your own money to print. Thats again really really sad. Hope your sacrifice will be appreciated by your students and the higher power above.

29 Mar 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Hi Irawini. Education SHOULD be a priority, but in reality it isn �t. Money comes long before any other consideration. To give you a reality check, I teach refugees, and my �school � is part of a billion dollar company. I can �t give my students the workbooks we have, because that �s too expansive. (The fact these books aren �t suitable in the first place is besides the point). To make matters worse, sometimes there aren �t even enough pens and notebooks. So I rely on �our � worksheets and when I do hand out copies my boss complains I use the colour versions. In short, it �s about profits, and profits only. For all of those that have a boss that cares about education: count your blessings! Cheers

30 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

All too true! Sadly, we have to filter in the cost. I used to photocopy away merrily, in colour too - very expensive! Now I am head of department, I have to make sure we don �t go over our budget. When I see members of my team printing off sheet after sheet in colour, I feel the panic rising!!! I have to answer to the finance officer!

cat playing animation
I agree with MoodyMoody though, that ppts should be glorious! If they feature pussy cats like some of your great ppts Peter, all the better!

Lynne

30 Mar 2013