Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Copyright    

Copyright

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Copyright

Hi all, if I find a picture on the internet, with no name on it and no watermark, can I assume it �s OK to publish it - with language exercises, of course - on here? Does anyone know?

29 Mar 2013      

manonski (f)
Canada

Have you checked the terms of use of the webpage where you found the picture? 

29 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, it says �some images may be subject to copyright. �

But I could have found it anywhere and not known how to find the page where it originally came from.

I �ve got a feeling I shouldn �t use it, but there is no mark at all....

29 Mar 2013     

maryse pey�
France

As you noticed "SOME images may..."

I think that there are some visible marks on the copyrighted ones. If you are not given the exact source I suppose you can use it freely.

29 Mar 2013     

jannabanna
France

I use a lot of images from the Internet - as long as there is no watermark on it - should be OK.

Janet

29 Mar 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

Actually Janet, it does not mean they are free to use. A picture can have copyrights without a watermark. I usually go with the terms of use of the website.

Another option is to go on google, do a search in image. Click on the "bolt/screw" icon on the top right, select  advanced search. Scroll down, you �ll have the option to select what kind of usage rights you want. 

29 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

In my opinion, basically yes as long as you follow the conditions of use and cite the source of the image thus claiming it under fair use for educational purposes.

With the internet some sources are reliable and others unreliabe.  With the latter you could be downloading a copy that in itself is breaching copyright.  These kind of sources don�t usually have any terms of use. It�s a bit like you then unknowingly accepting the proceeds of crime. As with academic work, the best bet is to download from reliable sources.

You can read about it here and  here, and here .

Cheers

Jayho

29 Mar 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Oh where are the days that everything on the �net � was for free? Ah, I know, that was in the previous century. I must be getting older :-)

30 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This debate has become academic for me, as I have now sought and received permission from the original publisher of the picture I want to use, although they don �t know who the artist was. In fact, they sent me a link to a higher quality version, which is very kind. They added I could use any image from their website for educational purposes. 

I think Jayho �s point is important - the image I downloaded may have been uploaded illegally by somebody else. 

I think in general, though, we should be able to assume that if there is no watermark and no signature, and it �s floating about on the internet, we should be OK to use it. We are teachers, not sleuths!

Anyway, interesting! Thanks for your comments,

Lynne 

30 Mar 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Lynne,
You might find these websites useful

Sophia

30 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Sophia, great links. You know links to everything!

A bonus here was that an ad came up for the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) and I �ve joined up - been meaning to do that for ages. 

Thanks again,
Lynne

30 Mar 2013     

1    2    Next >