Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > April Fool īs Day    

April Fool īs Day

L.M.G.
Spain

April Fool īs Day

Hi dear colleagues around the world,

Since next Mon is April 1st, we īre still on Easter holidays in Spain and I īd like to play a joke on my students -all of them are adults-, I ask for help in order to get a good idea.

I īve been thinking a lot and the only thing that came to my mind was sending them a fake email  (e.g. http://www.my-english-courses.com/advertising/bear/welcome-winmedia.htm) but I have no idea what to write. I īd like them to laugh but never to bother or get them upset. Something funny and harmless.

Do you have any idea??

Thanks everyone in advance.

Greetings from Spain.

29 Mar 2013      

dmharg
Greece

I ALMOST EVERY YEAR TELL THEM THAT TODAY WE ARE GOING TO WRITE A COMPOSITION AND I WRITE ON THE BOARD THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: īWRITE AN ARTICLE ON HOW THE CHINESE CULTURE HAS AFFECTED THE GREEK CIVILIZATION �     HAHAHAHA YOU SHOULD SEE THEIR FACES!!!

29 Mar 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Following Directions.
I use this lesson from time to time, especially with students who have a tendency to not bother with reading directions before jumping into the assignment;  thereby making silly mistakes. 
It begins by explaining that they should follow the directions completely and that they will be scored for the number of correct answers.  Then it goes on to tell them to read all twenty questions before writing anything.  Most students will just begin writing, ignoring the directions and focusing on the questions.

The catch is, that the final question instructs them to only do questions 1-4. 

This is a lesson that usually sticks.  And i īve never had a student (or colleague) fail to laugh at themselves for falling into this trap.  We all do it.

It would work great for April Fools Day.  I posted it today, it should be avaliable tomorrow.

Enjoy!  Dar

29 Mar 2013     

L.M.G.
Spain

Many thanks dmharg and dutchboydvh  :))

I īll try to do both, with different groups of students, but on April 2nd, since next Mon we īre still on Easter holidays :(

Anyway, just for fun!

Hugs from Spain :D

30 Mar 2013