Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > let us discuss    

let us discuss

ohermann
Czech Republic

Although we should be careful to choose "suitable" picture, we should also understand very difficult situation in many other countries where there are not many suitable or/and cheap means of transport for everybody. Keep this fact in mind. Not everybody lives in so-called "western countries". Let�s suppose this is the only way for the biker how to get the cow to his village. And the cow is very important for the life of his family. I hope you understand what I mean. BTW,here you can find other pictures which can help you understand what I mean (but it doesn�t mean I agree with that). http://aktualne.centrum.cz/zahranici/asie-a-pacifik/fotogalerie/2013/04/10/foto-doprava-silnice-pretizeni-predpisy-asie/

11 Apr 2013     

Allisa
Bulgaria

Dmharg, I haven �t said they are. I �m pretty sure you understand what I mean.

Fortunately I have never seen anything like this before. It is sad that animals can be treated so badly these days, no matter where and why (there is no excuse). However, it is a fact that similar scenes were not unusual in the past, when there were no regulations and no organisations to protect animals. The picture comes to show us that laws and regulations concerning animals are not the same all over the world and there is much more to be done. We can apply the classification of countries as developed and developing to this case as well. Developed countries are far ahead as it comes to being eco-friendly, animal-friendly and so on. Too long post. Time to stop.

11 Apr 2013     

Allisa
Bulgaria

Ohermann Thumbs Up

11 Apr 2013     

isa2
Austria

It �s shocking/ abusive/ horryfying what some people do to animals.
No matter where this man lives and what the circumstances of his life are, -  he should be treated like this poor creature and live through the hell of being frightened out of his wits.. That �s pure torture!
The forum should not be misused for such disturbing pictures.

11 Apr 2013     

abdel
Morocco

what the guy did to the cow was cruel; we all agree. it �s unquestionable.. i wanted just to show how selfish we become at times!
i loved ohermanand Allisa  �s talk! they are sensible!

11 Apr 2013     

abdel
Morocco

the most advanced scientific research centers where animals are killed under the pretext to serve science are in DEVELOPED COUNTRIES! isn �t that called CRUELTY if not RUTHLESSNESS.
here the zebra instead!

11 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Abdel

You said "let us discuss" but then left it at that.  Of course you are going to get a variety of responses, just like you do in a classroom. And given the nature of the photo many of those are perhaps not what you expected.  In hindsight, maybe an explanantion would have generated more favourable or useful responses.  Or perhaps a link to the photo rather than plastering it, in a large size, on the forum.

Of course the treatment of animals is going to vary between developed, developing and underdeveloped countries but you didn �t ask for people to comment on this.  You didn �t provide any guidelines for the discussion.  And, you didn �t provide a "sensible" photo

Regarding your last point about animals for scientific research, once again there are differing opinions, as there are with anything in life.  And once again, in Australia there are strict regulations regarding this.  What I would like to point out is that medical research often benefits people in developing and underdeveloped countries and that many people volunteer their time to travel to poorer countries to administer medicines that have been founded as part of medical research

Just my two cents worth

Jayho

P.S.  Could you please use correct punctuation.  I find your lack of use of capital letters where required annoying

12 Apr 2013     

abdel
Morocco

Your text could be corrected as follows: " You said :"let us discuss", but then you left it at that.Of course ,you are going to get a variety of responses, just like you do in a classroom�� ï¿½

Needless to say ,there are other mistakes in your post. I just do not have time to correct them. However, bear in mind the following clues :

1.    When you report someone�s  speech, put a colon. It is shown in red.

2.    In academic writing, a subject is always necessary before a verb.

3.    What do you mean by : �  at that ï¿½ ? It sounds like an unbearable ambiguity. You should have said : �  You did not specify the way your post should be discussed. ï¿½

4.    That �  are going ï¿½ cannot definitely go with �  said ï¿½ in the past although i might still be receiving comments.

5.    There is a difference between �  like ï¿½ and �  as ï¿½. Check a grammar book for that.

In a nutshell, �  those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. ï¿½, as the saying goes. I did not capitalise some words that should in fact be because I cared more about the message, and i was writing fast. Walt Whitman insisted on writing � i ï¿½ in small letter to show democracy and equality between the letters of the alphabet ; and henceforth appealing for tolerance, equality and justice among people. This is why I�d rather you stopped your RACISM ! what I mean is : stop saying � we ï¿½ in Australia�.. . That sounds selfish for we are all citizens of the world. We are all human beings.

P.S: ( Look at the colon Mr. or Ms. PUNCTUATION TEACHER) Is it fair to make animals drink alcohols as in your avatar? So pitiless if one does so.
Have a nice day.
Abdel

12 Apr 2013     

< Previous   1    2