Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > IELTS Marking scheme    

IELTS Marking scheme

Logos
Malaysia

IELTS Marking scheme

OK, lets get to a linguistic, teaching type question.

I help adults prepare for IELTS and whilst I have the general marking scheme for the examination there is one point which if anyone can help me, I would be extremely grateful.

Grammatical and spelling mistakes obviously bring marks down for an essay, but are the marks deducted for the number of mistakes or the different mistakes.  Let me demonstrate what I mean.

Last week a student was writing about the disposal of vegetables (don�t ask me why - it was part of the essay!!)  Anyway instead of writing vegetables he wrote vegetarian and the essay contained lots of references to peeling vegetarians, how vegetarians are good for you, and how they should be thrown out when they are rotten.

Now I don�t know how you feel about vegetarians, but it was quite a funny essay in view of this mistake.

My question is, however, how would this be viewed by an IELTS examiner?  Would he lose say 1 mark for wrong use of the word the first time - which is well deserved.  Or would he lose a mark every time he made the same mistake?  In which case he would be minus about 12 points.

The same could be asked of a grammar mistake which is repeated, or spelling error etc.  If anyone can throw some light on this I would really appreciate it.

26 Jan 2009      

MissMelissa12
Peru

I think for international exams, the examiner usually ask for:
Accuracy
Cohesion
Content
Organization
Register.
Range of vocabulary.
The eximener can pass a number of mistakes the person can make provided that his/her errors don�t interfer with communication but in this case I think it might.
So I think by making that mistake with the words, the examiner would give him/her bad scores on his/her accuracy since he/she didn�t use the vocabulary in the precise way and making sense to the whole esay.

As far as I know. Hug

26 Jan 2009     

blizzard1
Denmark

Dear Logos

I found a couple of links which you might be interested in.

http://www.ielts.org/pdf/UOBDs_WritingT1.pdf

http://www.ielts.org/pdf/UOBDs_WritingT2.pdf

Cheers from cold Denmark

Tisha

26 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

For open questions, I have changed my attitude towards marking texts pupils write.
It works like this:    if the whole exercise is worth 20 points.

20%=(10% content and 10% correct spelling, punctuation, grammar and sentence   
           structure)

Content meaning that he related correctly to the question and gave some examples etc.

I�m curious to what you think,  because this is the sysem the B. of Ed. uses for National exams in grade 8.

26 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

Logos,

I love the "peeling vegetarians..."  It gave me agreat laugh, Thanks.

Unfortumately I have never worked with the IELTS so I can�t help.  I do know that when I taught English composition to natives there was a maximum percentage  of points given (or taken) for punctuation and spelling.  I always evaluated how the errors effected the overall meaning and function of the paper.  Getting the word wrong for the main topic has a pretty big effect on the meaning,

Sorry, I know I�m not answering your question, I�ll hush now.

26 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Thanks everyone, but I am afraid the answer is still not clear.  I already have the public marking scheme offered by Trisha and this does not really help.

I agree that if the overall sense of the essay is lost because of the wrong use of vocabulary marks should be deducted, but does this only apply when all the mistakes are different.  This mistake was a big one, and made the whole text a nonsense, but it was only ONE mistake, which repeated itself throughout the essay.  So can anyone else try with a difinitive answer?????

27 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I�m curious about this one too. It appears to be a single vocab. error that�s repeated. My natural inclination is to mark it as a single error. I seem to remember something really vague about this & exam marking from an IELTS examiner I knew in Australia. Because it�s a consistent use of the wrong word it justifies making it a single error. if your student had used the correct word sometimes & the incorrect word at other times it would mean that more marks would be lost ( maybe 2...). If I can find any concrete definitions or hear back from my friend in Aus, I�ll let you know. If you hear anything in the meantime, please let me know too!

Cheers,
ab

27 Jan 2009