Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > foods???    

foods???

etibenben
Israel

foods???

Hello everyone!

When do I use the word "foods" VS "food"
and
"fruits" VS "fruit"
???
Thanks

17 Apr 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

fruits - when talking about different kinds of fruit
E.g. tropical fruits, such as bananas and pineapples

foods- e.g. frozen foods

17 Apr 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

To expand on what Sophia said, we often use "uncountable" nouns as countable nouns when we talk about different kinds of the uncountable noun. Food is usually uncountable or noncount, and therefore uses the singular but not "a." However, when talking about kinds of food, you treat it as a countable or count noun and you can use a plural form and the article "a." I hope this explains why and not just when we use foods versus food.

There are also some nouns that can be used both as countable and uncountable nouns even when you aren�t talking about kinds of. Many, if not most of these, are foods that can be referred to as whole items but are usually eaten as less than whole. Some examples: cake, pie, pizza, watermelon, chicken, turkey, duck, and goose.

"I like pizza. There are ten of us; do we need to order two or three pizzas?"

17 Apr 2013     

etibenben
Israel

Great explanation, Thank you!

29 May 2013