Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help!    

Help!

aloga
Spain

Help!

Hi everybody!
Please, native speakers, what do you think about this sentence: "She wants to go for a walk since it �s snowing."

I �d say: " Since it �s snowing, she wants to go for a walk.", but I �m not sure if what some of my students have written is OK.

Thanks and enjoy Sunday!
Ana

21 Apr 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

Both sentences sound fine to me. You can put a dependent clause either before or after the main clause. Even the punctuation in both sentences is correct. You don �t use a comma if the dependent clause follows the main clause, but you do when the dependent clause comes first. There �s a subtle difference in emphasis between the two sentences: your student is emphasizing the walk; you are emphasizing the snow.

21 Apr 2013     

aloga
Spain

Thanks a lot.

21 Apr 2013     

libertybelle
United States

It all depends on what  she really wants to say.

If she wants to walk in the snow - I �d write:
She wants to go for a walk in the snow
or
Because it �s snowing, she wants to go for a walk.

I think the since is a bit awkward.

21 Apr 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I think it �s a matter of taste since her original sentences sounded okay to me. It may be a difference in dialect. Your moniker implies that you are from Pennsylvania, and I �m from the Southern United States.

21 Apr 2013     

libertybelle
United States

Moody
The original means to me that because it �s snowing she wants to go for a walk but only because it �s snowing. (since it �s snowing, I want to go out for a walk.)

And I �m from California!Heart

21 Apr 2013