Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Reading and understanding skill    

Reading and understanding skill

dmharg
Greece

Reading and understanding skill

Hi everyone. I have a problem with my students and I really don �t know how to deal with it. When we read a text and then there are comprehension questions they seem lost. This is because when they read they don �t understand the meaning. They have to translate it afterwards. What can I do to improve that skill? I want them to read and understand at the same time.

24 Apr 2013      

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Reading a passage for the purpose of answering questions or doing tasks related to comprehension requires too much time if you ask students to read in class. What i usually do is giving the text to them to be read at home with the exercises of course and ask them to look up  the meaning of new words in the dictionary  to be able to understand the main ideas and it works all the time with me. In this way I gain time and devote it to discussion and correction and I �m not supposed to explain to them every single difficult word except for key words. Besides, silent reading and not aloud reading helps learners to understand the text better if they do it alone not with each other in class. Hope it helps. 

24 Apr 2013     

silvia.patti
Italy

Unfortunately I have the same problem, because my students don �t use the dictionary (because they don �t care); I give them the reading comprehension as homework but the most of them say me they didn �t understand this or that question and when I ask them if they used the dictionary, they simply answer NO Disapprove

24 Apr 2013     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

you have to teach them the difficult words (vocabulary) first if not they will never understand

24 Apr 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Vocabulary is a key for sure.  They need to not only understand what they are reading, but also what the questions are asking of them. 
I �d take it in small bites. 
1.  Start with a short passage; one paragraph.  Have them work in pairs to look up any words they don �t understand in the dictionary.  (I avoid the electronic dictionaries, as it seems they remember better by using the process of actually working out alphabetically where the word is.)
[Concerning dictionary use, the trick is getting them to understand that the dictionary is a great resourse when they are confused.  Not always easy i agree, but dictionary games can make it more fun and once they get the practice in they will see that it �s really quite easy to use a dictionary.  Just like anything... it takes practic,e practice, practice.  LOL]

2. Then I would write on the board/ or  hand out a few questions.  (2-3 muiltiple choice and one open ended.)  Then we talk about the questions one at a time, talk about any confusing words, and together figure out what the question is asking.

3. Then i �d have them use a hilighter and hilight the answers in the text, and give the correct answer, directly from the text in the open ended question.  Writing the answer in their own words comes later once they have learned how to track down the answers.

Do this a few times a week and eventually they will get it.  Also hopefully... they will begin to use their dictionaries. 

Anyone out there have a nice collection of dictionary games?  I have one worksheet on the use of a dictionary, but it �s not a game.  Worksheets like this are a good start, to give the kids a basic idea of how a dictionary is set up, and how to use it.  Once they have this context then you practice and try to make it fun.  Eventually it becomes easy.

Best of luck to you.  Hang in there.  Frustration is normal.

When my students don �t seem to be "getting it", I then break it into smaller pieces.  First take baby steps.... and in time they will begin to run.  :-)

24 Apr 2013     

dmharg
Greece

Thank you all very much :) 

25 Apr 2013     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think that is very important that they read books. There are lot of interesting easy readers (Longman, Penguin, Oxford). I have had a great success with them. Some of them have suspense and the children want to know what will happen, so they look the unknown words up.  You can give them a chapter as homework and you can ask them questions in the classroom.

25 Apr 2013