Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Plural for "optimization/optimisation" ?    

Plural for "optimization/optimisation" ?

douglas
United States

Plural for "optimization/optimisation" ?

Hi All,

I just got another message from a translation office that has got me wondering and I would like to hear your opinions on something.

Is creating the plural of optimization/optimisation by adding "s" traditionally correct or is it just a new trend? 

Whenever I read the word "optimizations/optimisations" the little man in the back of my head says it �s wrong and I can �t find any "authority" (Webster �s, Oxford, etc.) that definitively says it should be one way or the other. 

What do you all say to it?

Douglas

26 Apr 2013      

crisholm
Spain

Well, it �s an abstract noun, so it shouldn �t take the plural �s �.
Many happinesses for the day!Smile

Cristina

26 Apr 2013     

yanogator
United States

Douglas,
You are right to be bothered by this. I see it as part of the current fad for shortening everything - for example "summit" for what used to be called a "summit meeting".

In light of that, I think people who use "optimizations" are meaning "optimimization methods" or "optimization measures", so I see it as correct, even if annoying to some of us.

Bruce

26 Apr 2013     

Daisee
Vietnam

This tells us the plural http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/optimisation
Is it right???

26 Apr 2013