Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Skateboard    

Skateboard

mari_18cf
Brazil

Skateboard

Something crossed my mind

If I am skateboarding, but it �s not rolling smoothly or it �s a cheap skateboard that doesn �t move properly, can I say...?

"the skateboard is sticking"

The idea is that it moves, but not correctly, like braking sometimes by itself.

16 May 2013      

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I �d probably say the wheels are sticking, as that would be more accurate. Though I think it �s more often used when the bearings wear out and become �stuck �; meaning they don �t turn any more; And this would throw you off the board.

If the wheels are stopping and starting due to a rough road surface but still rolling along, i �d call it a rough ride because the wheels are sticking.

16 May 2013     

mariamit
Greece

If you mean they become fixed in one position and don �t turn I would say  "The wheels keep sticking".  I wouldn �t use stick in a progressive tense there although I am not sure whether or not it can be done

Hope it helps!

16 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

I agree that "The wheels keep sticking" is best, but "The wheels are sticking" is also correct, especially if it just started happening, since "keep sticking" implies that it has been happening for a while.

Bruce

17 May 2013     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Great!

19 May 2013