Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help 2    

help 2

silvia.patti
Italy

help 2

I need your help again, because in these days I �m checking lots of tests and I �m getting crazy Confused
If I want to express the possibility of a later taking off of the plane, can I say
1. Probably the plane will take off later
2. The plane could take off later
3. Probably the plane takes off later

Are there any other ways?
Thanks
Silvia

23 May 2013      

maryse pey�
France

Ciao Silvia,

I would say :

The plane may take off later (notion of doubt).

23 May 2013     

Moonlightmile
Argentina

u can use may/might or could!

23 May 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Silvia, all of your possible sentences are fine. Maryse and Moonlight also have good ideas. You could also use the adverbs possibly, maybe, or perhaps. Remember that probably indicates a belief that something is more likely to happen than not. Using may, might, possibly, maybe, or perhaps means that one really doesn �t know. Could can mean either that one doesn �t know or that one is skeptical that it will happen at all. When spoken, the tone of voice will tell you which meaning is correct. When written, you don �t know or you guess from context.

23 May 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

I would say: The plane will probably take off later. The second one is also a good but both seem to imply a condtion needs to be present for that to happen... if the weather holds up... if the engine is fixed..etc. Ed

23 May 2013     

silvia.patti
Italy

Thanks a lot, you were really useful as always.
Silvia

23 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

If you mean it is going to take off later rather than not at all, the suggestions are good.

But �f you mean the flight is going to take off later than expected, you should express it differently.

I think the flight is going to be delayed./ The flight  is probably going to have a late take-off./ The plane is probably going to take off late. Or just use late instead of later. (But not No.3)

Or something like that. Hope this helps, also.

23 May 2013     

silvia.patti
Italy

@cunliffe: To say the truth I �m more confused.
I think that the original sentence (pu� darsi che l �aereo decolli pi� tardi) means: at the moment there is no possibility for a take off, maybe in an hour.

25 May 2013