Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Using mp3 players in class    

Using mp3 players in class

Missbrittany
France

Using mp3 players in class

Hi!
 I �d like to you if any of you has been using mp3 or mp4 players in class,  for students to listen to audio files or watch videos as well as record themselves. At my school they �re thinking of buying a complete set (computer with 30 mp4 players), it �s very expensive and we �re wondering if these devices can last several years when used by dozens of students. Aren �t they too fragile? I �d like to hear about your experience with these new tools.

Thanks, and have a great week-end!

From rainy and cold  Brittany ...

24 May 2013      

Missbrittany
France

Oups, sorry, I mean I �d like to know...

24 May 2013     

hardcase
France

Hi MissBrittany, well, I �ve heard a lot about these MP3 Players over the years, and they were very much in a couple of years ago, it waqs THE big thing....all the Inspectors were wild about it and for the concours, they loved it if your lesson plan included this aspect.
It is expensive and I suppose when you �ve got them, you just use them.
It should be used by all language teachers to get the best use out of them, and students should take care of them. If you need ideas, you can just type MP3 player use in english class under GOOGLE and you �ll find plenty of ideas, in the academies of Versailles, Orl�ans etc....

Best of luck....also try this site (you might know it already) "michellehenry" - it �s an excellent esl site from a brillant english teacher....

bye for now, and good luck and have a nice weekend

25 May 2013     

Jayho
Australia

No, we don�t have funds for that.  My institution�s technology is sadly lacking in this IT driven world.

But, now that even the poorest students seem to be able to afford a smartphone (with internet access) I ask them to use that (or older style phones if they don �t have a smart phone) to record themselves - works like a dream.  They can film their own videos, and use ESL apps.  They can tap into our wifi student network to look at online videos and websites. They all know how to use their own phone and love being able to use their phone in class.  And, their phones never break down (unlike the technology we have for them to use). 

In fact, I had to get a smartphone18 mths ago just to be able to keep up with them.  It was one of the best things I did.  So while other teachers are telling their students to turn their phone off I�m telling them to keep it on.

Cheers

Jayho

25 May 2013     

PhilipR
Thailand

Very expensive? 

Yuo can buy a computer for next to nothing nowadays and mp4 or whatever players aren �t exactly expensive either. Is your school buying top of the range or at inflated prices?

IMO technology can help students in certain situations, but they definitely shouldn �t be considered a magic bullet. 

25 May 2013     

Missbrittany
France

Thanks for your comments Jayho!
PhilipR, the set I �m refering to is a special equipment dedicated to classroom use, with a computer that enables the teacher to send or receive files from 30 mp4 players at the same time, it �s rather elaborate. But I still think 5 000 euros is expensive!

25 May 2013