Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Do you have any questions? Or do you have any question?    

Do you have any questions? Or do you have any question?

afteleg
Philippines

Do you have any questions? Or do you have any question?

I do not know if this is really a tough question but for me, it became one after encountering related questions in this forum. So I would like to hear what you have to say about it.

Which is grammatical?

a. Do you have any questions?
b. Do you have any question?

Which is grammatical?

a. Is there any word you do not know?
b. Are there any words you do not know?

Looking forward to your responses. All for learning! Cheers!

9 Jun 2013      

bobavila
Mexico

hi there,
Do you have any questions is correct, since any refers to more than one, same thing for your second question 

9 Jun 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

I think both are correct with the following difference:

any question = a question of any kind
any questions = some questions

You can also say " Have you got a question?"

10 Jun 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

"Do you have any questions?" is okay. The singular form is not. That should be "Do you have a question?" "Any(kind of)question is okay." But that is rather different from the question "Do you have ..." So, Mohammed, they are not both correct! "Have you got a question" is commonly used nowadays, but it �s in fact bad English. "Do you have a question?" is much better. The "Have got" is often (more and more) used in this wrong way. The present perfect makes only sense when you say i.e. "I �ve got grey hair." It started in the past, and there is a �result � in the present. This goes for most possessions: "I �ve got a new car." A few weeks old by now, but it started in the past and carries on in the present (and hopefully into the future). You can �t say that about the question Afteleg posed. Cheers.

10 Jun 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Hi Mr Hardy.

I often take for granted what you and other native speakers of English say, but here I need some more explanation.

You asserted in your reply (above) that:  "Do you have any questions?" is okay, and that "Any(kind of)question is okay." And then I read: So, Mohammed, they are not both correct! I �m sorry I can �t see the difference between what you accepted and what I considered as correct in my previous reply: any question = a question of any kind
any questions = some questions

If the difference is in the use of Have you got  instead of do you have, you already agree that   "Have you got a question" is commonly used nowadays; and I remember and took for granted your saying before (when discussing is there / are there? ) : It �s what people say that makes a language, not the rules that were.

And if have got is used for possessions only, then is saying "I have got a headache." correct or wrong.

I �m not arguing Mr Hardy; I only seek sound arguments I can resort to when I need to convince my students.

10 Jun 2013     

Jayho
Australia

The general rule is any + plural / any + uncountable noun

To a group of people
Are there any questions?
Does anyone have a question?

To one person
Do you have any questions?
Do you have a question?

Do you have any question sounds unnatural to us down here at the bottom of the world but maybe it is different in other English speaking countries

Cheers

Jayho 

10 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

I agree that we use "any" with plural or uncountable nouns in questions.

"Any question" isn �t the same as "a question of any kind" (in a question).

Bruce

10 Jun 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Yes, I should have been more elaborate. What people say, does make a language indeed. Nevertheless, in many cases a majority will object because the language used is just too bad. I.e. teenagers using language and abbreviations meant for short text messages. No teacher will accept �gr8 � in an essay as decent language. The same goes for the American habit of dropping the -s in the 3rd person singular. "He do very well at school" sounds too unnatural to most of us. The �Have you got .." construction is mainly used for possessions that start in the past and continue in the present. Having a headache is some kind of possession. It started some time ago and we still suffer in the present. "Have you got a question?" doesn �t. Afteleg �s question was about the use of �any �. It usually goes with plural nouns: any questions? When the meaning is �every �, like in my example �Any (kind of) question is okay �, we use it with singular nouns. So, "Do you have any questions?" is correct. "Do you have any question?" is not correct. But, "Any question you want to ask is okay" is correct. I hope this answer is more helpful. And thanks for not taking everything for granted! Cheers.

10 Jun 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Thanks to all respondees. Much obliged to Peter, in particular.

10 Jun 2013